Replacing naps with a movie?

My 3 and a half year old still naps 1-2 hours a day, but lately he hasn't been tired at bedtime and will be awake in his bed until 11 or later. Nap is at 2, bed's at 9 so I know that he's not napping too close to bed, and he won't nap if it's any earlier, either. I need time to get stuff done in the afternoon, so nap time is still vital in my house! He doesn't watch TV all day, and we love to read books. I tried doing "quiet time" where he plays alone in his room, but he's just a busy body. So, what are your thoughts on replacing nap time with a blanket and movie?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Are you a single mother? If not, why doesn't your SO use that time with him so you can get stuff done?
    If you are a single mother, 3 is old enough to help out with the stuff that needs to get done...elist LO's help in doing this stuff.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:40 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I'm not a single mother, but my SO is at work during our "quiet time". In fact, I don't remember the last time he was home on a work day at 1pm. Some days, he's not home until 10pm or later. Tonight he won't be home at all.

My children (2 and 4) have rest time between 1 and 2. My DD (4) will lay down and watch a kids movie during quiet time. Sometimes she falls asleep. Othertimes she doesn't. But she needs that time, otherwise she's really cranky for the rest of the day. And I need it for my sanity. :)
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I replaced naps with a movie, or educational cartoons when my son was about 3. It really helped his bedtime and sleeping. I stay at home with my kid. He gets up about 7, and goes to bed about 9. In that time frame we read, do art and activities, play outside (when it's nice up to 4 or 5 hours-he loves the sand box, water play, and games), eat meals, and so on. So two hours a day in the middle of the day was 1) actually good for him to relax and 2) a break for me to do the housework.

I was a single mom for a long time, but it's still something i do now while my husbands at work. In the evenings then, we have more family time instead of him watching the kids so i can get things done.
    Anonymous

• because sometimes SO's actually work during the day

anyway, i see no problem with it. my son went through a phase like that (hes 2) so i would lay him down in my room and let him watch a movie instead. (dd still takes naps at the same time so it has to be quiet) switch it up a big, one day a movie, next day quiet time, give him a book to look at pics while laying down, next day he has to lay down. to me, if my son gets out of his bed and plays, as long as he's quiet about it (not loud enough to wake up his sister anyway) i really don't care. it's still quiet time and gives me time to get things done.
    Anonymous

• When my daighter turned 4 she wasn't napping any more so I just made her lay in bed at watch tv for nap time she is now almost 7 and still does this so my 3yr can get his nap
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 5:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• just let him do the playtime in his room for an hour or so...even if he is a busybody theres nothing wrong with that...i used to still put the babygate up and have my daughter have quiet time in her room for an hour so i could quickly get some stuff done...its not harmfull to them.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 5:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I do that with my almost three year old. If he wakes up after 9:30 in the morning he cannot take a nap or else he will not go to sleep at night. So, he will watch a movie/tv for about an hour or so while the others are sleeping and then we will do an art project or such before everyone wakes up. So I have a little time to get some stuff done (mainly phone calls, stuff that I need it quiet to do) and then we have some one on one time together. It has worked out really well and he seems to really enjoy it.
    I also get things done during the day so we have family time in the evening.
    Anonymous

• We do reading time with our 4 yr old if he isn't tired. We let him look at books or play quietly with some toys. Often he'll fall asleep. Then again, we have 1 tv - in our family room in the basement, not portable, and just not in my realm of thinking. You do what is good for your family.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I see nothing wrong with it. Many daycares start to use movies during naptime to 1) lull kids who just need a little downtime to sleep and 2) help those who don't take a nap to stay quiet. Usually its recommended to wait till they are about 4 to get rid of the nap, but if your son isn't taking it anyways then it could be a good solution.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 6:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• We sometimes do a movie for quiet time as a treat :) My girls don't nap anymore, but my son does and they know when he is sleeping, we have to be quiet.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2009