Cat scratch fever? Did you know that it is a real condition?

This happened a few years ago but i just starting thinking about it and was wondering if other moms knew this. When my son was 2 we had cats and he was always playing with them and he'd get scratched, well one day i noticed he had a lump under his right armpit it scared me because my first thought was cancer. I took him to the dr and the first thing she asked was if we had cats. Then she felt around and confirmed it was cat scratch fever. She gave him antibiotics and it went away within a week. It was kinda scary though because it was a hard lump about the size of a nickle. Anyone else know about this or experience something like this? I just thought i'd share. Thanks for reading.....

jnsdrf

Asked by jnsdrf at 4:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sadly my cousin died of Cat Scratch Fever. She had a kidney transplant, her Mom got her a kitten to keep her company, it scratched her... she got an infection, later died... tragic and sad! (that was the condensed version of the story-she was diabetic and had other medical issues)
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:32 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• The only time I have ever heard of Cat Scarch Fever was the song by Ted Nugent....lol

and as far as a lump I have heard it was an infected gland trying to fight infection from within the body.
    Anonymous

• I know it was also a song but i did a lot of research on it after it happened and it does sometimes cause an infection in the lymph nodes if you are bit or scratched from a cat. Here is a link for some of the info http://www.cdc.gov/HEALTHYPETS/diseases/catscratch.htm
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 5:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• yep my step brother got it a few years back. it isn't just cats either.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Yep, my 7th grade science teacher got it.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I had it when I was a child. Fever, hallucinations.... it was bad!  I got it twice from my neighbor's cat before anyone put two and two together and realized it was the cat scratches that were making me sick.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Yep. My mom had it when I was in college and got really sick. Funny, but the cats used to scratch me all the time when I was a kid and I never got sick but my mom got one accidental nick (after 15+ years with the cats) and was in the hospital.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• my brother got it once
    austinsmom187

Answer by austinsmom187 at 11:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Yepp, no one ever got it but we had cats and my parents were always warning us about it.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 9:53 AM on Oct. 27, 2009