Pacifiers and breastfeeding?

Can a newborn use a pacifier when they are being breastfeed? I remember hearing that they shouldn't use them for at least 2 weeks after they are born. Is that true? If not, which brand is recommended?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes thats whats reccommended but bc that helps keep them from getting nipple confusion. with that said, DS used a paci from day one! lol he was a sucky baby, and wasnt always eating. he did just fine with bf-ing and even when he had to start using a bottle when i went back to work, he did good. so if you need to use it, try it. if baby doesnt have problems bf-ing, then you're fine. if baby has issues bf-ing stop wait a couple weeks, then you can try again.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Yes they can I used them for both my girls. That way if they just want to suckle you can give them the Pacifier. I really do not remember the type.
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 5:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I had heard this with my 1st and I didn't use one with her until she was 2/3 weeks old - - - with my son, I brought it to the hospital when he was born! LOL Both of my kids preferred the Nuk brand, but it really doesn't matter as long as you use something that is labeled "orthodontic". They tell you to wait so that your supply is well established - if you give one right away, just make sure you have fed them first and you shouldn't have any trouble.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• o i started with i think a playtex kind maybe i forgot haha the ones that dont look like bulbs....but then as ds got older i used the mam kind. he loved those.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Well the reasoning behind not giving them is nipple confusion, but I don't buy that because it's not the nipple part that causes problem, but rather the flow from bottles versus a breast that causes a problem so a pacifier should not be a problem. That being said I did not give my first one until he was 6 weeks old and he would not take it at all. My second I was returning to work so I couldn't be her human pacifier like I was with the first and we tried with her at 3 weeks. She took it until the was about 7 months old and then started spitting them out. Whatever brand you can afford and the child will take. I tried 3 different brands before I found one my daughter liked ad tried 6 different brands with my son and he never took any of them.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• All three of mine had pacifiers from day one with no nipple confusion. Mine have all liked the advent brand the best. I tried the nuk with my second so they different ones, to tell them apart, but he liked his brother's advent ones better. As he got older he would steal them.
    Anonymous

• They gave my son one when he was in the NICU and he was able to latch just fine. No problem at all.
    Anonymous

• They gave my son a pacifier in the hospital, but he was having trouble latching and the lactation consultant said the first thing we needed to do was get rid of the paci they gave him and get one that was shaped liked a nipple. We ended up using the Soothie and he's never had any problems.
    My oldest son was bfed too and he liked the Mam, but I prefer my younger son's Soothie.

Answer by missanc at 5:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• You can always TRY. But there can be some degree of nipple confusion, as baby can maul a pacifier in ways that would be very painful for mom! So..if baby changes the latch or develops any painful new habits, toss the pacifier.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:43 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• my DD tried to use me as a pacifier, so we ended up giving her one at the hospital. They have great ones there, we took like 3 home and used them as long as we had them all.. lol
    Now she's a little older and she will take any paci you give her except the playtex ortho ones.. they don't hold the air in the nipple and she doesn't like how they collapse. We use mostly MAM ones, but she will take the Playtex bulb ones, Gerber, Nuk, and MAM.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2009