Why do SOME single moms have sense of entitlement

I go through Craigslist and other websites all the time and see ads like "single mom of 2 needs diapers" or "single mom in need" and so on. Well single moms are NOT the only ones out their busting their asses trying to make ends meet! I just get SO SICK of the "I am a single mom" excuse.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I know exactly what you mean and I agree with you. These ladies are using the marital status "single" to their advantage and that is wrong... they are also making all single moms look like mooches.

I am a proud-hard working- (single) mom... whether I am single or not does not change my responsibility to work and take care of my son... I don't like moochers at all... people who ask for stuff when they are capable of getting it themselves. I have NEVER asked someone for money or to buy me something for my child. My child is MY responsibility... no one elses. I will do what I got to do in order to provide for him by MYSELF.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I'm technically a single mom, but that is because we aren't married. I need diapers too. I don't whine and complain about it. I do what I have to do in order to provide for my child. These women need to suck it up and quit the whining because all of us need something.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I agree, there are SOME, only SOME who seem to think because they are single, they deserve special treatment. My cousin for example. She adopted a baby when she was getting divorced, knowing she would be a single mom. Now everything is "I'm a single mom so I can't do this, I'm a single mom so I can't do that." Note that I don't mean all single moms act like this, only some.
    Anonymous

• I don't know that they are trying to make excuses or make you feel bad for them, maybe they are just trying to clarify it. I myself am a single mom. I don't use it to try to get sympathy or get people to give me things or do things for me, but I will tell people that so that they understand that some options aren't open to me. For example, on here, some women will suggest that your hubby get a second job to help make ends meet, or have hubby watch the kids so you can work, etc. Those wouldn't be options for me since I don't have a husband, so I would clarify that I am a single mom so that someone wouldn't waste their time giving me that answer. Doesn't really apply to what you're saying, but I'm just saying maybe they aren't trying to sound or act entitled.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:03 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• OP- I am so glad that you all see I am not talking about ALL single moms just the ones who have the sense of entitlement. UGH it drives me crazy!!!
    Anonymous

• I agree some are like that. What I tell them that if things are so hard all the time that they need to keep asking for free stuff they need to turn off the internet .
    Anonymous

• I think that saying you are a single mom explains your situation, and maybe tries to show others that your need is great. That doesn't necessarily mean that you feel entitled, nor does it mean that married moms may not need help too. Maybe it is a plea for special treatment, but that doesn't bother me. I feel deep empathy for single moms because I was one myself for many years. But, I never asked for special treatment or help because I was a single mom. I was fortunate that I did not need to though, and I know that.

Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 6:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I'm technically a single mom- SO and I aren't married. I don't introduce or even think of myself as a single mom. But i guess some feel because they don't have someone else in the relationship to help provide for them, that they are entitled to more. Although i have known of married moms to put out ads for diapers, clothes, or even cheap cars as a 'single mother in need' because they think it will get more of a response. 50 yrs ago if you were a single mom you had to not only do it yourself, but without the help/pity of others. We have taught single moms that they need help and are entitled to more than moms who are married or in a committed relationship.
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 7:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I am a single mom. I don't think I am entitled to any other rights that other moms who are married are entitled too. But, when you don't have the support of a partner, things are much tougher. Married moms cannot understand this. Yes, there are SOME women who carry on about how they can't do certain things, blah blah blah. If they would get up and actually DO something about it, they wouldn't be where they are. At the job I was recently laid off from, they changed the hours, which would not have been compatible for me, even if I had stayed there. Those are single people hours, people who have no families or who just need a second job for whatever reason. All the single moms who worked there had to quit, because there was no way to make it work. So sometimes, being a single mom does have its disadvantages. But isn't that LIFE????
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 8:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Wow, I'm totally amazed that there isn't any ugliness! For the single moms that answered, YOU are the ones that I respect. The one's that honestly do want hand outs, and special treatment, not so much. I'm not a single mom. But I am. I'm married, but he's deployed. I don't work, but I take care of everything here by myself. And do what I can to take care of him over there. It's tough. I can and do talk with him every day. So we do support each other. And he can talk with the kids. So we still have each other. We do have it tough. But we have each other. And in that, I consider myself very, very lucky.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2009