Child Led Parenting???

What is this? The children run the household, the parents base their decisions decisions on an individual basis, or something totally different?

YzmaRocks

Asked by YzmaRocks at 6:03 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Child-led parenting means you let your baby arrange his or her own eating and sleeping schedule. The child doesn't run the household, but you take the child's individual needs into account. You don't force toilet training, you wait until the show signs of readiness. If your child loves trains, you read to him about trains. You don't force your shy child to be outgoing, or your outgoing child to be more reserved.

Think of it like a marriage. You are probably respectful of your DHs needs and wants, aren't you? You don't insist he do everything your way, and hopefully he is thoughtful to your needs and wants.

As the parent, you are still in charge of your child's care, safety and health, but you are also respectful of your child's desires.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:35 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I don't know what that is but I do child led napping. I let my LO tell when she is tired and then we take a nap. I don't even know where to begin about child led parenting.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I agree with mancosmomma. I try to practice cheld led parenting. I feel it is important to respect my daughter's pace. I teach her as she's ready, and let her grow as she's ready. I am there to guide her and teach her.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:45 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• just another occasion for bashing other's parenting, apparently.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:54 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Read some books by John Hoyt, I believe it is and mancosmomma, said it perfectly.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• It's allowing your child to achieve milestones on her own schedule instead of forcing her to wean, CIO, eat solid foods, etc on your schedule. It's watching for your child's cues that she's ready for the next step. It is NOT a lack of discipline or order in the house.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 9:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Okay, I get it now! It's much better than it sounds, lol.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 11:52 AM on Oct. 27, 2009