How painful is a spinal block?

I'm having a planned c very soon and I'm nervous about the spinal. I would love any input on what to expect.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you will barely even feel it. it really just feels like a regular shot. it will kick in very quickly and numb you. It's not bad at all. people make epidurals and spinal blocks out to be way worse than they actually are. totally nothing to worry about-after you get it you'll probably feel silly that you worried at all :)
    Anonymous

• its not very painful at all, just like a shot really. you sit up, and hug someone while curling up. this makes it easier for them to see where they need to go in. they give you the shot, and you immediately go numb from the waist down. as soon as you can't feel your feet you tell them and they lay you down on your back, after that you don't feel a thing. the pain only lasts about 5 secs if that, and once the block starts to wear off, you'll be on another type of pain relief for the actual c-section, so that doesn't bother you. after a few days you may notice a small bruise and scab but it's not enough to bother you.
    jessil83

Answer by jessil83 at 6:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I've never had a c-section, but epidural anesthesia is nearly the same thing, and my epidural was barely anything at all. I barely even felt it whatsoever and it numbed me quickly. Hang in there-the needles aren't that bad. You won't even see it. If you think about the needle it will make things harder for you.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 6:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• i didnt feel either of my spinals.....just when they tell u to breathe in and hold ur breath do it....best fo luck
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• All I felt was them rubbing the iodine on me.. then I felt pressure and a pop and felt something running down my back(don't know blood? I couldn't see and didn't have time to ask before I was sleepy) til I went numb. I was very sleepy for my csections. It starts at your feet and moves up and is very warm.. WARNING: Don't have anything to eat you WILL throw it up. and you'll feel like you can't breath but don't worry you are breathing fine. You will also have massive amounts of muscus producing don't be afraid to speak up because I almost choked on mine. But other then that I chose Csection over Vaginal anyday.. because that's all I know.. I don't know if anyone can tell you who's had both.. good luck mama.
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I am also having a schedule c-section this time around.. My first labor I was induced and went through 12 hours of labor before going in for a c-section and they gave me a spinal in the OR.. I dont remember much of it as I was so tired after 12 hours of labor and just wanting labor over with and to meet our daughter. I am also nervous about getting a spinal and going through it all again.. But.. come the day and knowing in a short while I will be meeting our new daughter all the pain will be worth it!!
    Baileysmom22304

Answer by Baileysmom22304 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2009