Are there any mannerisms that have gone the way of the dinosaurs that you wish would be brought back?

What I mean is, is there something that used to be the norm, but people don't do it anymore? I wish, when people call our home phone, they would give their name, then ask for the person they are calling for, rather then say "Who's this?" when you answer! I usually say "Well who are you calling for?" Also, I know there are alot of women out there who will say "I can open my own door." But I am still going to teach my sons to open doors for ladies! So if their future girlfriends and wives are hardcore feminists who don't like that, they are out of luck!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• OMG yes. I like that old adage, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. People these days are so RUDE!!! Manners seem to have just disappeared. As if they never existed. I am not really old fashioned, but there are certain things I like, and I am also teaching my kids to do these simple things. Like say thanks, you're welcome, excuse me. Yes ma'am and yes sir. My son holds open the doors for me and his sisters when we go places, and half the time I don't even have to remind him! My boyfriend opens doors for me, and lets me go in first, car doors too. He pulls out my chair too. I love it! I have dated other guys and I was always like, damn, would it hurt for them to be a little more like a gentleman should be??? And if the girls my son dates have a problem with this, well then he's too good for them anyway.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 8:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• YES!! I am so old fashioned, I should be in a Jane Austen novel lol. I hate the phone thing though I have to admit I've done it a time or two lately and I was mad at myself. I've been influenced by all the other people doing it, it's not my fault, lol!! *looking sheepish* Yeah, the door thing is sooo stupid, to me. I've grown up where people open doors and stuff lot, and now when people look offended, I'm thinkin, "So you'd just prefer I like slammed it in your face?" I mean I seriously cannot understand how that can offend someone. I open a door for EVERYONE, and I am a woman. I just see it as manners not saying someone is too weak or stupid to open their own door. People who are offended by manner just need to be offended in my opinion, cause I am not gonna stop doing what I think is right just cause someone is weird enough to be offended by politeness! Good for you for teaching your son manners, regardless!
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I agree. Open the damn door! Stand up on the bus so the pregnant, elderly or females can sit, say please and thank you always, open car doors, greet people on the street, bring something small to the host of a party, write thank you notes! These are small things but they are the glue that keep us from becoming unglued in society. Show a little respect and you will receive it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• i'm not sure if its a mannerism, but i still think its good etiquette...write 'thank you' notes!! it seems no one teaches their kids (or themselves!) to do this, anymore. i mean, no phone call, email, nothing! especially when you give a gift and aren't there in person to see the person receive it.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I think when you check out at the store they should have to say "Thank you"! Rudeness seems to be the norm among teens and people in their early 20's..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Cool hats.

My mother-in-law gave me a stash of old hats, and I figure why not, and I wear them from time to time.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Accountability. Politeness.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I agree with all of you.. I'm only 30 and I was taught a lot of these things you have talked about. I try very hard to teach my children to do these things. No hitting women,no stealing and YES I do bring them back when they do, I do make my son open the door for me and his siter. God I miss the old days.
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• opening doors for woman and elderly and sayin please and thank you ..i teach my kids my kids to open doors for others esp elderly. the rule says age before beauty.. i only had one guy open doors for me and pull out chairs and he is my 18 year guy friend, a true gentleman ...but i guess he was raised right
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I would like to see some plain old fashioned manners, and common courtesy! Especially over the phone. (I posted a vent about that a few hours ago!!!) I am starting to find myself acting a bit like these idiots at times, and I don't like it...
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2009