he just wont stop whyning!!!

my twenty eight month old son just wont stop today, since the moment he woke up he has been crying, a fake cry, throwing his body down stomping his feet. ive tried everything. talking to him, holding him, putting him in his room to let him cry it out, tylenol. NOTHING worked. ive really think that i have done my best i need some help, what should i do. he wont tell me anything is wrong, he dosn't say that anything hurts him. im really lost here. i just hope that it is one of those days

Nicole_06

Asked by Nicole_06 at 6:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my dd does it, I tell her she needs to use her words and until then, I won't listen to a whiny child. She'll throw a fit on the floor and I walk away into another room or something. Usually she will come up to me right after and ask me for something. He could be bored as others have posted but IMO it's not ok to whine to me! I can't stand it... so I tell my 23 mo old she needs to use her words and that has been working for a few months now. I find locking her in her room makes it worse, but it sure gives me the break I need! I hope it's better tomorrow! GL mama!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:57 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• If it's a fake cry and he's fed, has a drink, nothing is hurting him...then I'd just let him cry it out...he will soon see that you won't come running to his beck and call and he will quit. Go find a hobby to keep you occupied letting him know that if he needs you, that you are ____ and he can come to you when he is done.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:49 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• probly just one of those days. normally something triggers it, and i'd say tell him u know why he's upset ,but if it's for no reason, then i say to just pray it's gone in the morning. GL!
    Anonymous

• Maybe he is beginning to get sick, is overly tired or an ear infection. It might just be coming on and he doesn't KNOW himself what is wrong, just not feeling good. Put on a movie and pat his back. Maybe he will fall asleep.
    momjs

Answer by momjs at 6:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• let him cry it out
    FcknReady2Party

Answer by FcknReady2Party at 7:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I've had a few of those days too. Sometimes there simply isn't a cause it's just a bad day. I've found that a change of scenery sometimes will help. We go outside, go for a walk in teh stroller, playground, etc. You might also try ignoring the whining and trying to interest him in something else. If you simply hit the end of your rope, put him someplace safe (his room or a baby-proofed playroom) and step a way for a few minutes. A little break probably wont' stop the whining but it can help maintain your sanity! Good Luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• he's bored and probably not getting his way, mine does this all the time. i ignore it unless he's acting up while doing it.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:49 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• i agree with the change of scenery post. even when my 1 year old was tiny baby.... all we had to do was go outside for a bit and she would be happy. i wish we could have done this today but it was cold and snowy. if you have tried everything else, but this, try it. if still no luck then i agree that maybe he is just not feeling very good and just needs you to stop what you are doing for a day and comfort him.
    batsonsgirl

Answer by batsonsgirl at 11:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I don't suggest giving him medication to stop him from whinning/crying. I understand you're at whits end and were just looking for some relief. However, that isn't a good habit to start. I would suggest giving him a warm bath. I agree with another poster who said "I tell my 23 mo old to use her words." It doesn't always work, but to instill that in them is important. That will lead to more days without the behaviour your child is portraying now. Again though, I would try giving him a warm bath and seeing if that helps ease him. It probably is just a bad day for him and he may need to take an early nap.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:53 AM on Oct. 27, 2009