naming sons after their fathers?

this sounds terrible...but i don't really like my husbands first name. i always call him by cute nicknames unless i'm introducing him to someone. i've never told my husband i don't like his name, i didn't want to hurt his feelings. we have 2 girls...but now i'm pregnant with a boy. his dad made him a "jr" and he said he's thinking about making our son a "jr" too. should i just let him do it out of respect for his family or should i just be honest and say i don't want that to be his name?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• Now you HAVE to tell us the name. lol

It depends on the name.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I don't care for my hubby's first name either but he goes by his middle name, so we named our son after his dad (my hubby) and also call our son by his middle name (different than dad's) and he's still a fourth. (Your son can't be Jr. if you hubby is Jr. then your son is the third).
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 7:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• whats his name? i'm curious..
    for my boys, i had twins i named one aster my grandfather and a dear cousin who had passed and jack named our younger one bill jackson so in a way it does incorpoate fathers name
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 7:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I would be honest. This is something that will be apart of your family FOREVER. I do not care for my Husbands first name at all, thankfully he never voiced an desire to name one of our boys after him. Well, with that said I guess if it was something that my Husband REALLY heartfelt wanted then I would consider it. I don't envy your position, I guess gentle honesty is the best key. Good luck
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 7:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Be honest! Honesty is the best policy, and VERY important in an relationship. GL maybe you could both come to an happy decision.

Anonymous

• my hubby didnt find it original to give our son his name so he we're going against that tradition. Maybe you should just be like I want the baby to have his own name...so on and so forth
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Be honest. If you dont like his name then why would you want to call your child that name or come up with cute nicknames...kind of a waste of energy there. Just be up front about it and tell him what names you love, give your son your husbands name as a middle name.

My husband was named after his father but he absolutely refused to name any of our sons after him. He wanted our children to have an individual identity apart from being a "jr"(or in our case it would have been " a third").
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Be honest with your hubby, but maybe you can honor him another way. What about using his first name as you son's middle name? Or use his middle name for your son. I don't really care for my husband's middle name, but it is the same as his dad and his grandfather. I can live with a middle name I don't like!! I would have a hard time with a first name I didn't like.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• There can't be two juniors in the same family. However, if he does make his son a (his name) III (3rd) then call him by his middle name so folks know the difference between them.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• its your kids just as much as his and i u dont like it nt name him it
    FcknReady2Party

Answer by FcknReady2Party at 7:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2009