How many others can say this openly? that they were wrong, and SORRY?

A conscience-stricken member of the House Armed Services Committee is writing a book called "My Daddy's Not Dead Yet" in hopes it will atone for what he now considers his sinful vote to empower former President George W. Bush to invade Iraq in 2003.

Rep. Walter Jones, R-N.C., whose district includes the sprawling Marine base of Camp Lejeune, told me the title was inspired by a little boy who feared his Marine father would be killed in Iraq.

The setting for Jones' searing moment in 2007 was a classroom in the Johnson Elementary School at Camp Lejeune. He had been invited to read Dr. Seuss to the kids. Jones did that; then asked for questions.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/congressdaily/foa_20091026_5206.php

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that this guy is right to say it, I'm glad he did. The point is not about bringing up Bush, the point is, when we are discussing the war in Iraq, there is no way to do it without bringing up the fact that this war was promoted and pushed forward by the Bush administration, with heavy-handed sales tactics such as telling people that they were unamerican if they didn't support the war, and scare tactics so many people actually believed there were terrorists in Iraq. Lots of people thought (and still do think) that Iraq had something to do with the 9/11 tragedy. The who spectacle made me ill. It was supported by reps and dems.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• "My daddy's not dead yet," said a little boy. "My daddy's not dead yet," the boy repeated. Jones said he reeled as if punched in the gut, a wave of guilt washing over him. The remark devastated him because he knew deep down that he had played go-along-politics with the life of the little boy's father instead of "listening to God" and voting against the House resolution in 2002 that authorized Bush to go to war in Iraq. "I profess to be a man of faith," Jones said, "but I didn't vote my conscience."

"My Daddy's Not Dead Yet" will set forth Jones' beliefs and concerns about America's out-of-control militarism and current spending spree. Any money his book makes will go to those treating the wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan, he said.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Some physicians who have studied the extent and cost of treating the mentally wounded have told me it will overwhelm both the government and private medical systems.

The little boy's stinging remark also has compelled Jones to look hard at President Obama's plans for combating the Taliban in Afghanistan and stabilizing that fractured country. There will be no go-along vote for Jones this time.

He has been meeting with retired generals to discuss the pros and cons of escalating the U.S. effort in Afghanistan. He said several of these generals on his impromptu board of education have urged him to vote against any Obama plan that calls for sending tens of thousands more U.S. troops to Afghanistan.
    sweet-a-kins

• One told him the Army and Marine Corps are worn out. To ask them to send thousands more troops to Afghanistan could break them, one general warned Jones.

Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the field commander in Afghanistan, is said to want as many as 40,000 more American troops in Afghanistan on top of the 68,000 to be on the ground there by year's end.

"We're trying to police the world," Jones lamented. "Every great nation prior to America that tried to police the world has failed economically. That's why I tell people that I'm a Pat Buchanan American. I want to stop trying to take care of the world and fix this country. Our problems are so deep that there is no easy way to fix them."
    sweet-a-kins

• How many others can say this openly? that they were wrong, and SORRY?

You first.
    Anonymous

You first.

Me first what? I am not sorry, I have always been against the war...BOTH of them!
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Why do the libs keep bringing up Bush? Are u that afraid you messiah was a terrible mistake and you need to point out the mistakes of other presidents? Pathetic and sad.
    Anonymous

• Good timing with the decision coming on Afghanistan. I hope his book makes a strong case for getting us out of there with a minimum of damage to the country or our military. I hope Obama and his advisers have the sense to realize that we'll never "win" over there.

Tauna1208

Answer by Tauna1208 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Everyone has their own opinions. My husband has been to the middle east, my brother and brother in law have been and they both are heading back in a few months.They tell me why they serve. They tell me why they are proud. Even for going to Afghanistan/Iraq. I believe in them. They believe in their mission. That is all I need. I don't expect you to understand, but I would hope you can respect my reasons.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I am not sorry, I have no reason to be and I lost family in Iraq. I will not apologize for my loss. Maybe Sweet, if you lost someone in these "senseless" wars you would see how they are not senseless at all! If there was no reason to be in Iraq and to fight. Why did my family die? He was not shooting at anyone. He was not conqoring someone elses land. He was doing patrol at an Iraqi base. A terrorist, killed him, not an Iraqi citizen protecting his home. A devious individual who does not mind killing his own to please his twisted faith. Sweet, stop really think if you lost someone over there... wouldn't you want them to remembered bravely and not shunded because you don't like republicans? Sometimes your ignorance takes my breath away.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 8:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2009