is it safe to try to conceive another child now? my son is 4 months old and was delivered by c section?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I wouldn't have one this close together but that 's just me.
    Anonymous

• wow, are we twins?

lol seriously though, you sound like me only i wasnt ttc this one she just happened 4 months after giving birth by c-section to my 2nd daughter. it's definitely not ideal because you're going to have a hard time finding a doc that will let you vbac (if that's what you want to do) and of course the risk of rupturing is much greater since it's only been 4 months since the surgery. they recommend waiting 18-24 months after a c-section to get pregnant again for the lowest risk.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I don't know if it's safe or not.
    But i do know that most studies show that it takes a woman's body about 2 years to recover from a normal pregnancy and delivery.
    It might be a good idea to give your body that recovery time.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I don't know if its safe or not for your body, but mentally... you have to remember, the closer you have them together the harder its going to be when they start running around and getting into stuff. Taking care of a 18 mo- 2 yr old is very tiring and having another child so close will probably be a little rough
    c_lotte1107

Answer by c_lotte1107 at 7:52 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• For a 'normal' and uncomplicated pregnancy and delivery(vaginal) it's not recommended to have another for at least 2 years. It takes at least that amount of time for your body to recover. Since you had a c-section i wouldn't think it would be safe. Internally your uterus hasn't completely healed from being cut open and putting stress and strain on it so quickly from another pregnancy sounds very dangerous. You would be more likely to rupture your uterus and have other complications.
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 8:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I don't know about having a c-section. I am pretty sure that they say to wait longer to heal, but there have been women that have done it. I have had all of mine vaginally, but my oldest two are 13 months apart, my middle and my youngest are 20 months apart. My second one was my hardest delivery and the longest to recover from. I am guessing because I got pregnant so fast. But I do not regret it (it was not planned) I love having my kids so close together and that they have each other to play with.
    Anonymous

• I had my son delivered by c-section and asked my dr when i could ttc again since I wanted another one close in age( thats just what i wanted). She told me that I could start ttc whenever i was ready. That was just my situation though. Not sure if you had any complications or anything. I think its a matter of opinion from doctors.
    Anonymous

• I know the risk of uterine rupture is MUCH higher if you have them within 2 years. I'm not sure how that risk weighs in overall, but I know it's there. They will probably want you to have another c-section if you got pregnant soon. The only reason I know this is one of my girlfriends had a section, and is now pregnant, and she's been looking into vbac / repeat section. She'd rather have the vbac, but she's bummed that it looks like there actually are a lot more risks if you try within 2 years. Something to consider.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:54 PM on Oct. 26, 2009