can they take you to court over an ER visit?

I had to go to the ER and didn't have insurance and still don't or any money can they take you to court and if they do can they garnish your wages???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• NO
    Anonymous

• Don't worry, a few years ago, I had to go to ER with no insurance, and still never payed for it. Nothing will happen, just pay what you can afford to a month if you are that worried
    Anonymous

• no it will just go on ur credit but u should try calling th hospital and ask for their finacial department number and sometimes they will take care of ur bill if u colify for it ok good luck
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 8:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• It might depend on where you live. I live in TX. An ER bill somehow fell thru the cracks, we never got it. We didn't know about for 3 years till we pulled our credit report. They had sent it to a collection agency who was trying to reach us at an old address and phone number. They never sued us. Just dinked our credit. We paid it off in installments. But they told us that as long as we pay something, even $1 a month, they can't do anything about medical bills.
    jenlenr

Answer by jenlenr at 8:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• no. it will affect your credit eventually. you can call the hospital and they will work with you on payments... whether it be 10-20 a month or something... that'll at least keep it off your credit report.
    c_lotte1107

Answer by c_lotte1107 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• no.

unfortunately, i have not had coverage, and have had an torn ACL, severely sprained (fractured? couldn't tell) ankle, pneumonia, severe reactions to insect bites/stings (4 visits- deathly allergic), severe dehydration which required hospitalization (actually had rotovirus! passed the heck out and my neighbor called 911)... in the past 10 years. i've payed what i can, when i can... i guess i will until i die... i have about $40,000 in medical debt. the only thing that'll be garnished is your state taxes.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:03 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I agree with the other posts, most hospitals have charity that you can fill out and they will help you or maybe ask a social worker, but they will not take you to court sweetie. Don't stress out over that , you will make urself sick...Take care!!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• In my state if the bill is delinquent long enough, they take it out of your tax return
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 8:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Call to make a payment arrangement. They have to accept whatever arrangement you make. Even if it's only $10/month. Don't mess up your credit.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anon:44 - just make small payments - as long as you make an arrangement within 30 days of the service - they leave you alone and it doesn't mess up your credit. I worked at a collection agency and if you get turned over they usually tried to either get a judgment against you and garnish your wages or put a lien against any property or vehicles you own. Even if it is 5 bucks a month - they will never turn you over...
    AngelaKay

Answer by AngelaKay at 10:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2009