anyone nursing and pregnant, and hurting?

i'm 5 and a half weeks pregnant. My son doesn't nurse very much anymore, but when he does, it hurts. :( my nipples are slightly sore and so are my montgomery glands (the little bumps around the nipple, just saying because i didn't know so i assume a lot of you don't. =) ), so when he nurses it hurts. just wondering if anyone else is sore too. and any tips? i am definitely wanting to continue nursing through the flu season, and then i'm going to start trying to wean him, if he doesn't on his own before then.

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes!! It will pass. I think it was mostly during the first trimester. Your breasts get tender during pregnancy (which I never really noticed) and then nursing on them really makes them hurt. My firstborn self weaned because he didn't like the taste (I have heard the breastmilk is saltier). With my daughter, I am currently breastfeeding morning and night and the baby is due the end of November. I have really stuggled with my milk supply while pregnant. Drink a ton of water and I would nurse him as often as he wants. With my supply dropping, she now nurses less than 5 minutes total!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Yes I breastfed my son until I was five months pregnant with this baby. He was 16 months. Some days it hurt so bad, others not at all. Drink a lot of water, Oatmeal also helps your supply stay up. My son ended up weaning tho, it could have been the milk, or his teeth, or my big belly lol. But we made it half way just fine.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 8:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• thanks ladies! when i was pregnant with my son, my breasts got very sore right away. with this pregnancy, my breasts haven't gotten sore really, just the nipples and glands. i had an online friend whose twin girls weaned as soon as she got pregnant, she didn't know if it was the taste, or her supply. they were 14 mos. my son has been nursing just a 2-3 times per day, but just for like a minute each time for a couple of months. he's 2.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:40 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Man with my son I had sore breasts for just a couple weeks in the first trimester. This one tho, my entire breasts hurt a lot while nursing , and even after he weaned my nipples and the montgomery glands still hurt all the time. I don't have any idea why it's so different. lol. I use lanolin a lot, it seems like keeping them moisturized helps with the pain a bit. For me anyhow, you should try it tho.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 8:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• yeah maybe i should get some of that. i used it a little bit when he was newborn but it could help now...tonight he was too rough when he popped off and made me squeal "OUCH!"
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• YOW! My son bit be one time. He had just got teeth in and I guess was trying them out. It left a hole in the side of my nipple.. OMG it hurt so bad! But he was too little to just wean, (my husbands suggestion) and I couldn't just nurse on one side, so I tried doing that football hold that works best with newborns and little babies, lol hes a pretty tall boy, It actually works, the suction wasn't so bad on the cut side, and it healed in a week or so. Man did it hurt tho! I'll never forget it! I have a little scar it's like a perfect little tooth mark. lol.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• youch lucas mama, that would hurt!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• my son nurses probably once a day if that now. it hasn't hurt for me but maybe a few times. but, for some women it can hurt the entire time. i hope it stops hurting soon.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:59 AM on Oct. 27, 2009