Induction question

My doctor told me today that since the baby is not coming naturally, I will be induced next week. Well, today when the mid-wife was explaining to me the process it sounds like something I do not like. I wanted to know if anyone has experienced this and what your thoughts are on the procedure, as in pain and timing. They place something under or near your cervix to start the induction and they keep that in for 12 hours. After that, if labor has not started yet then they break the water and potasium. I am concerned about the pain with the first procedure. I am going to call the doctor tomorrow to discuss it further but I wanted to get some thoughts about it since I may not be understanding it right or it may not be as bad as I have thought. Thanks!

shiningstar790

Asked by shiningstar790 at 8:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The night that I went in for my induction, the dr. placed cervidil into my cervix to help ripen it since I was only 1/2 centimeter dilated. This process did hurt slightly but I think it only hurts for women with very soft, sensitive cervixes. And even though it hurt a little bit ( just felt like a quick scratch ) it was very brief. Twelve hours later they took it out and I was 1 centimeter dilated. They then gave me pitocin to bring on contractions. After the pit was started, the contractions came on quite strongly, but I started to dilate a little more. A few hours later I elected to have the epidural. I had it ( didn't bother me at all ) and it totally numbed me. Ninety minutes after having the epidural, I woke up from a nap to learn that I went from 2-9 cent in that time. My son was born with no pain or pressure at all. Induction isn't that bad. The contractions do hurt, but childbirth is what you make of it. GL
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 8:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• If you want to know what cervidil looks like, google-image it. It's very small and usually only felt if you have a sensitive cervix.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 8:47 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Definitely discuss everything your nervous about with your doctor - inducing labor when your so late is because the placenta can start dying even when the baby doesn't want to come out.

I was induced a week over, and as it was my only delivery so far, I can't really tell you if it was more painful, but I can tell you they let me get the epidural just about as early as I wanted, so no, I didn't experience much pain until it was actually time to push when I let the epidural pretty much run out.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:47 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I'm not sure I've heard of this procedure, unless you're referring to stripping membranes. I've heard it can be uncomfortable, but that wouldnt be my main concern. How "late" are you? Some doctors get in a hurry. There's not really any reason to induce unless you've reached 42 weeks. If you try to force baby before s/he's ready, then you're more likely to run into other problems. Dr's who start interfering early on are more likely to use other means such as pitocin, which can cause very painful contractions, forcing you to need meds or an epi for the pain, and then harmful forceps or suction in delivery. Often deliveries that are meddled with end up in ceaerians. I would certainly talk to your doctor about all the options with their pros and cons. Also study up on the matter so that you know all your options and whats important to you. You have the right to say what you you want for you and baby.
    Jennibug

Answer by Jennibug at 8:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• it's a very difficult decision. if it were me, i would not do it just because you are past your due date, which is what it sounds like. it's just not worth the risks. i guess if i was past 42 weeks, then i would consider it. how many weeks are you? maybe you can find out what drugs they are going to use (cytotek, cervadil, pitocin?) and look up any possible risks. induction can really up the risk of c-section, for example. in the end it is all your choice! don't let a doctor pressure you into thinking you have to do it if you aren't comfortable. good luck!
    Anonymous

• Do the induction if it is medically necessary. There ARE risks associated with post-term babies. "Letting them come on their own time" is not always a great idea.
    Anonymous

• I work at a hospital pharmacy and 9 months ago I was induced. It's called cervidil, its not painful when they put it in you, more uncomfortable. 12 hours after that I had progressed and I was given a pitocin drip. When that got going , it was painful. They gave me an epidural shortly after that because I couldn't take the pain. The pitocin made my contractions more frequent and more intense. My baby was up against my spine(called OP) so all of my pain was in my back. My water broke on it's own without the docs help. If you believe in epidurals, just make sure your RN and doc knows. When I delivered, there was only 1 anes on the floor so it took him about an hour until he was able to give me my epidural. It wasn't a bad experience. I was glad I didn't have to worry about my water breaking in public. If you can sleep at any point, do it. I didn't sleep for about 36 hours. Oh one more thing. ....Continued....
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I would research the dangers of induction. I did and it led me to refuse induction. I had my daughter naturally at 42w 2d. I had a quick and easy labor and everything went wonderfully. DD was born healthy as can be and only weighed 7lb 4oz!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I got sick to my stomach, if this happens to you just ask for zofran, it helped me alot! I'm not sure if it was the pain or the epidural that made me sick to my stomach. But that was probably the worse part of my labor. I'm sure you'll do great and, as everyone says, it will be over before you know it and the end result is worth it. Good luck!
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• "I was glad I didn't have to worry about my water breaking in public. " -msfila

well only about 10-20% of moms' water breaks before active labor begins anyway. just fyi :) my water did happen to break before active labor began
    Anonymous