Do you force your child to do any sports/extracurricular activities?

If so, how old are they, and at what point will you stop and let it be a choice? Right now I strongly encourage my kids to do at least one thing per season. I'm hoping that eventually they will like something genuinely and want to keep at it.

LadyEb

Asked by LadyEb at 8:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• i take my son to soccer every saturday ( not forced ) but i did see this dad yellin at his daughter who must not have been more than 18 months old because she didnt want to play

lame
    FcknReady2Party

Answer by FcknReady2Party at 8:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• No. It has not worked yet. Just made me look stupid when he would refuse to participate. waste of money. He is 5. We tried gymboree at 2, gymnastics at 3, soccer at 4 and karate at almost 5. He loved it for one week then would scream bloody murder when we got in the car to go and would sit out and act a fool when we got there. He wants to start karate again and the answer is 'no'. at least until he is like 8 or so.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• not initially, no, but he knows he's expected to stick with the activity for the season, or a pre-agreed to period of time for an ongoing activity such as music lessons, etc, rather than bail out on something when the novelty wears off or it gets difficult.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:52 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• My son is 6 and my dd is 4. I ask if they want to, explain to them what it is and how they will practice and if they want to, I sign them up. They may not quit during the season though, once they are signed up.

My son is playing basketball now! And enjoying it very much!

But I would never force them to do anything.....they will figure out what they like in time ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• No. The only things I try to "force" my daughter to do are brushing her teeth and sleeping.
    Anonymous

• nope, i dont have to force my daughter to, she wants to!! she does dance on weekends, dance at school every monday, swimming tuesdays and thursdays and in spring she does soccer.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I have made my son play baseball since he was in 2nd grade. It was recommended by his doctor to help with his socialization skills. My son is ADHD and has issues making friends his own age, so this is a good way to solve that problem. He complains at the beginning of each season,but has a blast anyway and has made some good friends.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• No i dont make them do it but if they ask and want to do it i do make them stick it out for the whole season!! I dont believe in quitting something because its hard. My dd is a swimmer and twirler and my son really enjoys baseball and next fall he will probably play football.
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:35 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My daughter has to have at least one extracurricular activity; this is critical for college acceptance. She is in the yoga club and key club

Answer by rkoloms at 10:40 AM on Oct. 27, 2009