If a baby self-weans before 1 year what do you give them?

My 9 mo baby is breastfed - no formula EVER - but I would like to be prepared if she weans before one year. Even if it doesn't happen. So what do I give her? I don't want to give her formula. Is my only option to pump and bottle feed?

cainjes

Asked by cainjes at 9:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did pediasure at age 1. half and half water. she was fine with it and eventually Silk soymilk
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 9:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Yes; if she were to all of a sudden decide tomorrow that she doesn't want to breastfeed any more, you should give her formula or pumped breastmilk. Formula or breastmilk should be her primary source of nutrition for the first year. If you're really close to that year mark, like within the last couple of weeks to a month, you could go ahead with whole milk, but even that you want to do gradually and not all of a sudden.

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• talk to your pediatrician if it happens...my daughter was on half cows milk and half formula around 9 mo....but that was because she was on the high end of her weight and was drinking a lot of formula...we progressively gave her a little more cow's milk in each bottle until 12 mo.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Here's how you make sure she DOESN'T wean early...

Never give a bite of solids till she's nursed. And no alternate liquids.

Generally, babies less than a year old are led to weaning...they rarely do it themselves unless something like pregnancy has happened to change mom's milk.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• if you don't want to give her formula, the only other option is pumped breastmilk. its too early to give her cow's milk
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:40 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Like always gdiamante has great advice!
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 8:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Formula or pumped breast milk
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:24 AM on Oct. 27, 2009