i think my 6 week old has colic, what do i do?...

miss_ashley225

Asked by miss_ashley225 at 9:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-1 Credits)
  • Get as much rest as you can! Stay calm. Remember it will end. Try anything and everything until you find something that helps! Realize you will just have to put him in his crib once in a while to scream - for your own sanity. And last of all, talk to your doctor. They are learning SO much about colic (basically a term that means we have no idea why they scream all the time). For my son, I could tell it was his stomach/digestive system. The doctor gave us prescription drops for our son and the crying went from 5 hours or so to only about 2!!! It was such a blessing. Join a group of cafemom for colicky babies! I was in one when I was dealing with my son and they were a lot of encouragement!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• What is your 6 week old eating...formula or breast milk? If formula, have you tried switching? Some babies do better with sensitive varieties or soy based brands. If breast milk...have you noticed any patterns? My daughter used to scream for hours every time I ate mango....so I stopped eating mango. For others it is chocolate, or caffeine, or garlic, etc. Try Gripe Water...something with sodium bicarbonate and Oil of Fennel in it....it really helps settle tummies and get gas bubbles out. Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• google catnip tea and maybe ask your doctor about it.i didnt know about it when my baby had colic,but i read it can be used for colic.maybe just a few drops i dont know.it is a member of the mint family and it has a bunch of different names other than catnip.sounds weird but worth researching.
    littledozie

Answer by littledozie at 10:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Here is my suggestion. When my baby was born, She was starting to get cranky at 2 weeks old. I assume sh was getting to be colic because it was non stop crying. Unfortunately, while in the hospital I was blind and drugged on medications and couldnt breatsfeed myself. So I had to use Similac Advance. I sitched her to Similac Sensitive RS and that has rice cereal already in it, That helped her gas and fussiness alot. What also helped was the swaddles. Its the smae thing you do with the recieving blanket when you wrap them up but the swaddles actually have velcrow and can stay put. You can find them at BabysRUs. When I used that with my little girl, I would say in a month, colic was TOTALLY gone. I would try whatever idea you would like a week at a time....even ask your doctor.
    Allie120

Answer by Allie120 at 1:19 AM on Oct. 27, 2009