Is there anything I can do to prepare my vagina for childbirth? 38 weeks pregnant

I didn't do as many kegels as I should have and I've never had a perineal massage (boyfriend thinks its weird and i dont know if i can reach)

I guess I could put oil on my dildo and try to stretch my vag a little, i'm so serious here too it's okay to laugh but i'm not just bsing here.

Anything I can do?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 9:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's not too late to start doing kegels. In my personal experience, I don't think they do as much to prepare your vagina for delivery as they do to help maintain muscle tone (and hence bladder control) afterwards. I've done perineal massage with olive oil with my younger kids and I think it helped. It was not a comfortable reach, but I can reach.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 9:44 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Haha. That's funny. No. your body knows what to do. lol.
    If you're worried about tearing/stretching/etc...I can tell you that the best thing you can do is to change positions during labor. I had my DD on my hands and knees (cause that is what felt "good" to me) and I didnt tear at ALL. Laying on your back and pushing a baby out works against gravity and causes many women to tear or have to get cut.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 10:35 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• i didn't do perineal massage either, and didn't do much of the kegels either. i did ok anyway, just minor tearing :) i honestly don't think the dildo would help because it is so much smaller than a baby head and the perineal area is really the part that you can stretch out a bit before. good luck!

i agree with PP about moving around during labor, and possible pushing naturally instead of directed pushing. i did directed pushing, and maybe i wouldn't have had the tearing if i had just pushed gently and when i felt like it instead of the PUSH 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 ETC;. GL!
    Anonymous

• Yes, there is something that will help on many accounts:
    become very informed and confident. Be ready for a very natural birth experience. The more natural, the healthier, easier, safer!

You are built to labor and deliver this baby. You are built to do it without trauma. If you birth on your back with people telling YOU what to do instead of you just simply showing THEM, you will increase your success rate.
    You don't need to stretch anything. Your vagina will unfold and stretch, it's completely and totally normal. It is what those tissues do!

Don't bother trying to prepare these tissues~ instead, know that they are designed to work perfectly, and they shall!! Your body has performed a lot of miracles recently, it's not going to stop now. (Like: lining up egg & sperm for conception and growing a fetus inside of you that is a real human being!) No need to mess with what nature has perfected. :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2009