im fed up with doctors

I had to leave work this morning to pick my daughter up from school because she had fever. She had it sunday night but it finally went away so she went to school because she has missed so much already from being sick. I called the dr. and they cant see her until 8:00 in the morning. Her fever got up to 102 again so I called for a referrel to take her to urgent care because I have three other kids who do not need to get sick. The secretary was snotty and said the nurse practition was in the room with someone and she would have to look at my daughters file and call me back.Why would she have to look at her file? I never got a call from them. Im so aggravated because its like I have to have their permission to take my daughter to another dr. just because of her insurance. Whats it to them besides money. They dont care if shes sick. My ? is should I ask in the morning why I never recieved a phone call or should I just let it go

heavenlypeace

Asked by heavenlypeace at 10:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would definatly say something about not getting a call back and that you felt the person who took your call was being rude. You should have a good relationship with the entire staff of the dr's office. It's important to keep the lines of comunication open with them.
    Anonymous

• i would have called back

if your insurance will be accepted at urgent care i would have gone

sorry your baby is sick, any fever reducers helping?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• lately i've been making a career change and trying a few different jobs. Things like what you are upset about used to really make me so mad too. However, with my new jobs I have seen what goes on in the back and why things are the way they are. They may have there reasons why they need to check things that you are not aware of. I do agree that they should have atleast called you back. I may would bring it up when you go in there in mentioning that I never got a call back yesterday but other than that I say let it go.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 10:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• yeah shes been taking tylenol and motrin. Shes 16 (not really a baby lol) but my baby! Urgent care said I had to have a referrel. Her fever finally went down so I didnt call back. I decided if I needed to I would take her to the E.R. if needed later on. She is running a low grade fever now and hurting all over so I figure its the flu.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 10:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• You shouldn't need a referral for urgent care, you should have just taken her there. I have NEVER needed a referral, that is the point of urgent care. ..to use when you can't get into your doctors office but it isn't an emergency. BTW, if your daughter had a fever on Sunday, she shouldn't have been in school on Monday. They are not supposed to be at school until a fever is gone 24 hours WITHOUT the helps of meds.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Deff bring up your issues with the DR. He's the only one that will get something done! Aks to speak to the office manager too!
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Yep, talk to your dr about what happened. Theres no excuse for them not to at least call you back. I had a similar experience while I was pregnant. I told my dr and ever since the staff have been nothing but polite.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• POST HERE-TYFRY--I called urgent care, they said they would be glad to see her but with her insurance they would need a referrel. She has ARkids a form of medicade. She went to school "without fever" because she had two tests to take.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 10:43 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• just another POV here, but if she were well enough to take the tests, she was well enough to not be referred out. the whole point of having a PCP manage government run health ins. is to keep costs down. your DD probably did not need to go to ER or UCC, flu is a big illness, if she had a tru flu she would not have been well enough to go to school Monday.

the child should be fever free w/o meds for 24 hours prior to going back to school, where she likely spread her illness. and if she were well enough again to return this morning, than your request for a referral to ER or UCC denial was warranted by your health professional.

I'm sorry, but by having the insurance you do while a current flu epidemic is everywhere, I am sure the right decision was made here by your PCP. Please stop saying your fed up with Doctors, that is such an unfounded and severe remark to make in general terms.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:39 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• A sick child has a weakened immune system. Why bring a sick child to a germ-filled doctor's office? It is probably just a virus.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:30 AM on Oct. 27, 2009