is it safe to only gain like 7 pounds during pregnancy?

I am still carrying around 40 pounds from my first pregnancy 15 months ago, and i'm pregnant again. I was wondering if I watched what I ate, then i really wouldn't have to gain any weight bc there is enough excess for this pregnancy. Is this true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't watch what you eat so much as just try to eat healthy. I am 35 weeks pregnant and have only gained 5 pounds. Baby is healthy and my doctor is please. So, depending on your doctor and what you eat, it can be perfectly safe.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• No. Because it's not about pounds. You have to remember that the baby will weigh 6-9lbs. Then you have placenta. Fluid. Umbilical cord, all that stuff. Unless you are walking around with a belly full of placenta and fluid, there is no way to make sure you only gain 7lb.
    Some women do only gain a small amount, but that's *usually* because they started to eat healthy and lost weight, then gained it back in a different form. Or because they were really sick. But yeah, I dont see how you can make sure that you only gain that much, unless you can somehow control how much your placenta, etc. weighs.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 10:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• just eat healthy dont worry about your weight. It would be unhealthy to try to make ur body not gain what it wants. You are carrying tons of extra blood to give your baby nutrients, your placenta, amniotic fluid, and the baby. So unless you are morbidly obese you should probably gain a little more. Ask your doc what they want.
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Yeah, just eat a healthy diet, it is possible to maintain or even lose weight and still have a healthy pregnancy, but you do still need to eat well. I lost 20lbs with my first pregnancy (before giving birth) and maintained my weight with my last two. And I really actually ate a lot, it's just that instead of chips or junk I craved fruit and veggies. On family movie night at home while everyone else was having chips or popcorn I ate pomegranete seeds or carrot sticks. That's just what I wanted. But you can't diet while pregnant, you just have to eat healthy foods and make sure you get all the vitamins and nutrients you and baby need plus all the calories you need to make a healthy baby.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 27, 2009