how to legally change a child's name?

my first son father die before he was born.... anyway we never had a real reationship. I met another person and we decided to register the child as his son. few years later we split, he cheated with another woman that later he married. he tried to get sole custody of my son so I decided to get back at him with child support and share custody i won when he was told how much money he had to give me by law he requested a paternity test, of course I told the judge he was not the father, the DNA was not necesary. that was 4 months ago the clerk told me they were going to send some paperwork to change the child's name, however i have not yet received anything and i dont know where to start i called court and i'm not getting any where. i need to register my son in school and they are asking for the birth certificate please if you can help give me a buzz, i really need it
Thanks....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Go to the family court office and get the paperwork to do a name change yourself. It will cost money to do so.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• thank you
    Anonymous

• i don't know about the change of name forms, but i know you can just give the school the birth certificate you have now and give them an updated one when it changes.
    trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 10:45 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Not sure how to answer this one but you can go online and research how the process works in your state. Best of luck to you, mama!
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 9:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My husband changed his name after our first was born and I know I had to give permission for our daughter's last name to be changed also...If you can get a death certificate I'm sure you'll have no problem changing your childs last name....
    SpiritLady

Answer by SpiritLady at 11:08 AM on Oct. 27, 2009