H1N1 question, incubation period..does anyone know?

Does anyone know what the incubation period for H1N1 is? I was diagnosed and super sick on Thursday, my son was diagnosed and at his worse by Saturday. We have made it this far and so far DH and the baby are showing no signs or symptoms. We still plan to use universal precautions and limit exposure for the next few days but do you think they may be safe now?

Cass052005

Asked by Cass052005 at 10:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Health

• I was told you are contagious for 5 days before you show symptoms and for five days after your fever is gone.
    Anonymous

• Really? Why are they sending people back to work and school after they are 24 hours fever free if they are still contagious?
    Cass052005

Answer by Cass052005 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• my friend and her kids just had it. She was told by the doctor you are only contagious 24 hours after the fever.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• you can contract it at any point. it usualy takes 5 - 7 days to show symptoms, you are contagious until 48 hours after your fever have left
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 12:38 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I am the first anon. My doctor told me that they are sending people back to school and work because after 48 hours they ususally know if it will be bad. They can't stop people from being infected at this point. BUT, I specifically asked because I didn't get the flu when my family did. He said the kids were contagious for five days after the fever. I am sticking by him. He is the only one who has been a really good doctor for me so far.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Even if the fever has broken, you're still contagious. You're still hacking and snotty. The virus is in there.

You're MORE contagious with the fever, as well as less likely to be careful with your coughing and sneezing because you feel like crap....and don't really give a crap.

Most people catch it in the period of time before symptoms are shown.

I know they say that for colds and croup to give it 2 weeks before you can consider yourself safe and won't have it. I'm just going to use the same "rule" for the flu.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Oct. 27, 2009