Do you think its OK to lose weight while your pregnant if you are 100 pounds overweight?

I am overweight and have been trying (without success) for a while to lose weight in preparation for having another child. I have had c-sections with both of my other children and will have one with the next so that's why it is important for me to lose the weight. I do not plan on getting pregnant without losing the weight but accidents do happen. What is your opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• it is perfectly safe as long as you eat a NORMAL amount for you and baby (maybe 2000 calories max per day) and low impact exercise... again check with your doctor for safe activities, swimming and walking are the best.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I would think it's great if she developed better eating habits. When you eat right the pounds will come off. Better for the baby to be healthier.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 10:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• As long as you are under DOCTORS care, it should be ok.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I was over weight when I got pregnant and I lost some weight during the pregnancy. My OB was not concerned. So, I think you will be okay losing some weight during a pregnancy as long as you are eating and eating healthy.
    Jenni22805

Answer by Jenni22805 at 10:54 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• awww, that is sad. I know someone who was so big that when she got pregnant and was nine months along she looked the same as when she wasn't pregnant. That is so sad
    Anonymous

• I personally think no, wait until baby is born, but you can choose to eat healthily, smaller meals more often, and light exercise.. ask a doctor.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• My doctor was actually pleased that I didn't put much weight on because I am overweight. My 2nd child had put 12 lbs on me...but I lost that part plus five after having her. Still overweight, and got pregnant again! So I am really watching my weight. It's the nutrition you put into your body and not "stressing" your body any more than it already is that's important. Don't starve yourself and I think you would be fine...
    Anonymous

• I would run it by your doctor, but i think if you are eating healthy and walking daily for 30 minutes I would think think your dr would be okay with that, probably even very happy about it. You should not limit yourself on any certain kind of foods like carbs or good fats or anything though. Just try to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats, whole grain breads (like brown rice, whole wheat rolls, bread and crackers), 2% milk, cheese, and yogurt, and stay away from the desserts, chips, sodas, etc and you should lose weight naturally.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• From what I have seen and heard you should never TRY to lose weight while pregnant. You can change your diet so you are eating healthy and do some pregnancy safe exercise but you should not try and lose the weight otherwise. Diets like slimfast and adkins and those types should never be attempted when you are pregnant because you could not to get enough of the nutrients you need at this time. If you have a healthy diet and you lose some weight it is ok tho.
    krys1973

Answer by krys1973 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• As long as you are doing it by eating healthy and doing moderate exercise and not going on a diet. I lost about 20lbs from 5w to 40+w with my first baby, and I didn't try, it was just that I was so sick to start and then really only craved healthier foods. So as long as you are eating well and not starving yourself, it should be fine. But check with your Dr or midwife first.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2009