Can you actually feel....

Can you feel the needle of an epidural go in u at all? like do they numb the area first or just stick it in? Im more scared of the epidural than i am giving birth lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• By the time you consider an epi, the pain is pretty bad contraction wise. I would have been fine without one, as contractions in front were similar to really bad period cramps, however I had back labor and that was a fricking joy. So I opted to get an epidural. From what I remeber yes the localize the area, and tell you exactly what they're doing and when. I had 2 bad contractions during the poke, but ultimately felt nothing. Put it this way , I can remember how contractions felt, I can't remember how getting an epidural felt.- so it wasn't too bad
    luvububee

Answer by luvububee at 2:03 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• yes, but it didn't hurt. It was uncomfortable, like pressure, but it was over quickly. That feeling was nothing compared to the contractions. What I thought was weird (in a funny way) was that the Dr. was having trouble finding my "spot" and for a split second I felt a shiver run down one entire side of my body. He hit a nerve accidently- it didn't hurt either, just felt strange.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 11:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I honestly don't remember. I was having horrible back labor and I don't remember feeling anything except much needed relief when he was done!! =) I was scared of getting one too. Just make that call when you are in labor. You might find that you don't need one. I didn't with my first and it wasn't too bad. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• if you are too the point that you WANT an epidural than you will be thankful for that small pin prick, it will seem like nothing!
    Anonymous

• they numb it first..it doesn't feel any worse than an IV or a flu shot.. the epidural is the easy part :)
    mamalinlin

Answer by mamalinlin at 11:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• It was nothing compared to the contractions. In fact I don't remember anything more than almost instant relief. No one prepared me for how painful contractions where. I think no one could have though. I got my epidural when I was dialated to a 7. Had I known what a 7 felt like then, I'd have gotten it when they first offered at a 5. There will be so much going on, I doubt you'll even be thinking about the needle. The weirdest thing for me was when they broke my water. It didn't hurt, the giant crochet hook looking thing freaked me out though. Then it was really uncomfortable because the water never seemed to stop and they couldn't keep me dry. I ended up with diaper rash.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I had one after 23 hours of labor when they decided to do a c-section. I HATE needles and this was absolutely nothing! Believe it or not, getting your finger picked or having blood drawn is worse. It could be because I was in so much pain that I didn't notice. They did numb the area first.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I don't remember feeling it at all. I think they numbed the area first.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:22 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I had a contraction right as they were stisking the needle in me to numb it so i jumped and they kind a stuck me twice but it felt like a tiny needle prick and then after that i didnt feel the epidural go in at all!!! i felt them tape it to my back but i never felt it go in or anything
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 12:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• i had a contractions the whole time which were very bad bc i was 9 cm (which i didnt know) so i never felt it, just when the put the medication in everything went away i could still feel them but no pain...then mine wore off when i was giving birth =0 lol. but it was wonderful while it lasted.
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 1:52 AM on Oct. 27, 2009