To those moms who have (or have had) 2 under 2--was it by surprise or chosen that way? Do you sometimes wish you would have spaced out your children more?

Hubby and I have a 10 month old son. I got an iud after he was born and we always talked about wanting more kids in a couple of years. Well lately since my son is walking and moved up to a big boy car seat and I don't even feel like he's a baby anymore, I have been wanting another baby really bad. I never could get hubby to agree with me, he wanted to wait. Well yesterday my iud fell out! It was right after sex, I don't know if I'm pregnant or not, but hubby is now saying ok let's just get pregnant. I wanted to say yes, but instead I said no. I sometimes babysit my 2 1/2 year old nephew and it's harder than heck to have the 2 together. Not to mention it will really be a stretch to pay for another baby right now. Should I wait til our son is older? Do you like having babies close in age or do you wish you would have spaced them out more?

Butterflysky_24

Asked by Butterflysky_24 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well there's alway pros and cons. I have two that are the same age for 2 months and are in the same grade. It just happened that way and no it was not planned that way (total surprise). Having to change two sets of diapers, dealing with an infant and a toddler, nap times were never ever at the same time. But since they have gotten older and are in the same grade, school is simple (except on party days, can't be 2 places at once). But you need to list the good, the bad, and ulgy before going into it. I would not change a thing however but it was not easy. Just one mommas view. GL
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• My middle boys are less than 13 mos apart. THAT was interesting. Two Csections in little more than a year... caring for a NB with a "toddler" that wasn't even toddling yet. My older son (who was about 5 at the time) was a life-saver. He was my legs for weeks... I called him my little gopher LOL

It's good because they both played with the same toys at the same time & the first couple of years we could do hand-me-downs w/o even storing the clothes in between... and now they're wearing the same size & liking the same things, too. They always have someone to play with. It is really hard, though, and you realize you miss out on some of the special moments you had with your 1st because you're so busy.

All in all, I'm happy with the way my family (all "surprises") turned out. My boys are now 6, 7, & 11 and my daughter is 2.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I have a son who will be 2 in a few days and am expecting our second in March. Compared to 10 months old, my son is INSANE!! Around 20 months something happens. Kids become a lot more independant and demanding of your time, energy, etc.
    We are looking forward to our second- but even thinking about how tiring the first few months are going to be stresses me out.
    Call your doctor- I don't think it is very common for an IUD to fall out.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:21 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I have 5 kids. My older 3 are about 3 yrs apart each. My 2 youngest are only 14 mo apart...and wow! Its much harder. Once they were both walking it was like having twins. We didnt plan it this way but it happened so you know, you adapt but if I were planning it, then I would prefer the 3 yr age gap!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• It tooks us a couple years to get pregnant with our first so we did not expect to be pregnant so quickly after! We weren't trying it! But weren't preventing it either. Our second was born when the first was 15 months. And we are keeping it up!! This November we will have 4 kids under 4 years old. Lol! I wouldn't trade it for anything - never would have imagined it happenning, but wouldn't change it.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:46 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My daughters are very close in age and we love it. Twice the work, but twice the fun. Now that they're 3&4, it's much easier than when they were babies.
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 8:07 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I had 3 under 3. Not fun. I mean, sure there are times when it was kind of cool, but in general...I really wish we hadn't had two surprises. (er..the timing of the surprises, I still want them!!! LOL)

There are 22 months between the older two, that wasn't too bad. There are 11 months between the youngest two, that has sucked until recently now that they're preschool-ish age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I had 3 under 2. But, 2 of them were my ex husbands children. I got pregnant, his ex was already pregnant & they already had a 10 month old. When she had the baby, she ditched him & the kids. Just ran away. So, i took over. When i had my daughter, i had a 5 month old girl, a 15 month old boy & my newborn. He eventually cheated on me, but i was glad. I was very underappreciated for all the work i decided to take over. I do still see his kids though. We hang out all the time, they're my daughters siblings.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:32 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Thank you for asking this question. I have been meaning to ask it myself.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:40 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I had twins, and yes it was a HUGE surprise!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2009