Why do so many people let their young children walk the streets alone???

I don't get it. We as adults know the dangers of being alone on the streets. And as adults we also know or should know there are very sick people who prey on kids so why is it parents still allow there children to be out there all alone?

Loveem007

Asked by Loveem007 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It worries the heck out of me to. I lived in a neighbourhood where children my kids age (8 and 9) would walk the streets.  I am too paranoid my child would be the next elizabeth smart.  Oh and I lived across the street from a lady who let her kids play outside naked.  Crazy crazy people.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I would never let mine out alone! Unless it was in the back yard (which has a 6' or more fence around it!), and even then only a few minutes at a time, constantly checking!
    I get letting them out on YOUR street only, and as long as you are constantly looking out and they are older (i mean, if they are riding bkes, it isn't fair to keep them in your driveway!) And my parents always knew all the parents on the block and it was a team effort.
    Our town is great though. If a kid goes missing, everyhouse int he area gets a phone call and like 1 miinute after the call there are a million flashlights or whatever out and looking, and a few minutes later the kid is found... generally just got too far, got scared and hid.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:37 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I live in a mobile home park and it's terrible! Little, tiny kids like 3 and 4 years old on bikes riding around the park alone! I don't like leaving my 3yo in her room alone too long.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• it drives me nuts I have seen little ones around the age of 3 or 4 standing on the corner by the street playing and I live in the city
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 12:35 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Because they aren't paranoid and know the world isn't filled with pedophiles around every corner. I've lived in this neighborhood, in this house for the better part of 20 years and it's no different then when I was a kid. My kids are outside all the time, running up and down the block. They are 9, 8, 7 and 3 1/2. I'm happy to say my kids aren't the only ones out there.
    We live in Chicago. I used to hate the city but now I love living here because everyone still lets their kids play outside like kids should. Like I did when I was a kid, instead of locking them up in the house.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:09 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I have never seen kids out alone by themselves. I mean, yeah, the 10-12 year olds in my neighborhood but not little kids! Where do you live??

Answer by missanc at 9:42 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• You do realize they are more likely to be sexually molested by someone working for your local school system, don't you? You know, those people you TRUST.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I let my kids play outside all of the time....with me or my husband supervising. I don't think that every person is a pedo or kidnapper, I just choose to be vigilant and involved in their outside play. Maybe as the get older (they are 5 and 2 now), I will be out there less, but I would never allow them out front alone. In the backyard, they are alone and I don't worry. We have a privacy fence with a locked gate and I just check on them frequently. Kids disappear everyday in "safe" neighborhoods.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• It worries the heck out of me to. I lived in a neighbourhood where children my kids age (8 and 9) would walk the streets. I am too paranoid my child would be the next elizabeth smart. Oh and I lived across the street from a lady who let her kids play outside naked. Crazy crazy people.

You realize Elizabeth Smart was abducted from her home in a locked house right? There are crazy people but that is not reason to raise afraid children and never let them leave the house. My son is 7 he plays on our street all day if he can. There are about 15 other kids around his age outside with him all day. I keep an eye on him but I don't stay out with him all day. He is in 2nd grade and walks home from school just like I did. Kids 30 years ago were abducted too back then. You do what you want with your kids but don't judge moms who are allowing their kids to be kids.
    Anonymous

• You guys would change your tune if it was your kid that was affected.I have been touched with some experience in the area. I think some feel it's easier to let them run everywhere then actually find something constructive for them or actually supervise what they are doing and who they are with.Pedophile scout out those areas. If I'm judging so be it! The neighborhood is NOT my childs guardian!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2009