Marine quits over war, Why are we there?

When Matthew Hoh joined the Foreign Service early this year, he was exactly the kind of smart civil-military hybrid the administration was looking for to help expand its development efforts in Afghanistan.
former Marine Corps captain with combat experience in Iraq, Hoh had also served in uniform at the Pentagon, and as a civilian in Iraq and at the State Department. By July, he was the senior U.S. civilian in Zabul province, a Taliban hotbed.

But last month, in a move that has sent ripples all the way to the White House, Hoh, 36, became the first U.S. official known to resign in protest over the Afghan war, which he had come to believe simply fueled the insurgency.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/26/AR2009102603394.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "I have lost understanding of and confidence in the strategic purposes of the United States' presence in Afghanistan," he wrote Sept. 10 in a four-page letter to the department's head of personnel. "I have doubts and reservations about our current strategy and planned future strategy, but my resignation is based not upon how we are pursuing this war, but why and to what end."

The reaction to Hoh's letter was immediate. Senior U.S. officials, concerned that they would lose an outstanding officer and perhaps gain a prominent critic, appealed to him to stay.

U.S. Ambassador Karl W. Eikenberry brought him to Kabul and offered him a job on his senior embassy staff. Hoh declined. From there, he was flown home for a face-to-face meeting with Richard C. Holbrooke, the administration's special representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• "We took his letter very seriously, because he was a good officer," Holbrooke said in an interview. "We all thought that given how serious his letter was, how much commitment there was, and his prior track record, we should pay close attention to him."
    While he did not share Hoh's view that the war "wasn't worth the fight," Holbrooke said, "I agreed with much of his analysis." He asked Hoh to join his team in Washington, saying that "if he really wanted to affect policy and help reduce the cost of the war on lives and treasure," why not be "inside the building, rather than outside, where you can get a lot of attention but you won't have the same political impact?"

Hoh accepted the argument and the job, but changed his mind a week later. "I recognize the career implications, but it wasn't the right thing to do," he said in an interview Friday, two days after his resignation became final.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• You know...I KNOW you don't like O'Reilly...but his stance on this wat is to pony up or GET OUT. Sounds kind of like where you are going with this....funny stuff.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:23 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

Actually, I'm not going anywhere with this. Its about the marine...any thoughts on HIS stance?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:32 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Very interesting. I keep hearing about support for the war in Afghanistan eroding. Of course support for the war in Iraq has been falling every year since it was started. It is truly horrible that we have wasted so much time and effort, and really, all we did was stir up more problems.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:46 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I don't understand why O got rid of the guy who was in charge before McCrystal, and then put McCrystal in charge, just to let his reports sit there. Why is O not following the advice of the man who HE put there to make these reports. I remember hearing that he was just the man for the job, he was the only one who could figure this stuff out, so why not do as this man suggests? I really don't get it.....No wonder that support for this "real" war is declining.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:59 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• It is NOT about a Marine, the article states he is a FORMER marine. It is about a guy that quit 2 federal jobs in a time when good jobs are hard to come by.

Boo hoo. The govt is really distressed that a FORMER CAPTAIN quit. They aren't happy with the advice of their CURRENT COMMANDERS (with stars on their shoulders) so they dig further into the barrel and come up with a quitter. Way to go! God forbid they should use their heads or anything so crazy.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:02 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I would quit too, if I had to take orders from a CIC with no military expirence and who has a stick so far up his butt he feels he knows better then HIS appointed General!
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 1:20 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My son just came back from Iraq. Back from a war that he originally defended but, what he said to me when he came home was something else. He said " I don't know why we are even there" He put his life in jeopardy for what? He surely didn't know. If he doesn't even understand and he was there, how are we to understand from here?
    IAmFreeToDance

Answer by IAmFreeToDance at 3:05 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• He's a former marine. Former service members quit jobs all the time.....I don't know why he accepted the job in the first place. It's not like all of the sudden he had a revelation and was against the war. I'm sure he had been over there before he accepted the job and knew what kind of mess was going on over there.
    hannah_belle

Answer by hannah_belle at 7:02 AM on Oct. 27, 2009