If my daughter is Failing horrible in 2nd grade can she go back to 1st

I didnt her to go to 2nd grade but the school in AZ fought and said she was ready blah blah. I knew she wasnt. I moved her to NJ becuase the schools are better and have better funding to help her succeed but she is doing so bad. She cant read and she cant do the homework because of this. She can't spell words because she cant read them. It's really bad. I am going to ask the school to put her back in 1st grade. Is that a crazy suggestion? I just don't know what to do. This is my baby and she is failing. I want her to be the best and not be behind.

Mrs.Oriaku

Asked by Mrs.Oriaku at 12:01 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• try getting her a tutor, some extra help and even try to help her with homework and stuff. ask the teacher to show you where she need to work on things too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Probably not now but she can repeat next year. I had this conflict at my girls old school about them repeating and they gave me the same "oh their ready BS". Speak up louder and make them hold her back. We moved them to a different school and now their grades are so much better since they are repeating second grade and because they are not at the other crappy school who was more worried about funding instead of teaching the students.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:06 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• The problem with public schools is that they try to squeeze every child into the same pigeon hole. Different children learn in different ways. My daughter absolutely did not want to learn sight words. So I told her that she had to learn how to read, that was not debatable, but she could choose how she would learn. She could either learn sight words like the other children in kindergarten or she could learn spelling rules and understand why the words sound the way they do. She choose spelling rules. It fit her need to understand how things work. Now she's doing great. I love being able to homeschool. I know she would not get the individual attention that she needs in a public school.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 12:23 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• She does not want to know how to read. She has a horrible attitude about school she just doesnt care. she told me she is going to be a hobo on the street and sell newspapers. She knows how important school is to me and i remind her that she needs school. I can't teach her because i get frustrated with her attitude. I do try. I took her to the library and let her pick out a few books and i read them with her. I am taking her today again to the library to do her homework. I am trying to do this with her side by side.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 8:34 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• There's no harm in talking to the school about having her go back to 1st grade - kids aren't so far into the school year yet that it would be awkward. The only problem might be that at this point all of the classes in the school where she's at are full and she would have to switch elem. schools. I would also consider looking into tutors - check out the sylvan learning center to see if there's one near you - tutoring.sylvanlearning.com.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I called the school and they are so far saying YES to putting her back in 1st grade!! I hope that it works out and she can go back. I think she will do better. wish me luck
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 12:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I would say try to put her back, I'm glad you called the school and they are working with you---or willing to at this point. If she's already suffering, why make the rest of the year miserable for her? She will continue to hate school and then who knows maybe just forget it altogether. Good luck. I think going back to first will help in the long run.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I agree with always_chris. I was also going to suggest homeschooling. I homeschool my 2 boys, and it works out great because we can work at THEIR pace, not at the pace of 30 other kids who may be either ahead or behind them. Every child is different, and trying to fit a square peg into a round hole is only going to frustrate everyone involved.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• For the moms pushing homeschooling - it's great that you can and that it's working for your children, but that is not a good solution, or even a possible solution, for many families. And all public schools are not bad - as a former teacher, I can tell you that yes, some schools need to work on a LOT, but there are just as many schools with amazing teachers who do their best to work with each student.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• DONT PUSH HER BACK
    Get what she needs by tutoring or doing it yourself. You can do it. You teach her everything else in life, why not a little help w/ reading. There are wonderful resources out there. Public Library, home-education web sites, teacher stores. Start w/ her teacher, if u don't get satisfaction there, move on to the principle. We pay exorborant taxes for public education, use it sister to get help for this child NOW. She should have never been allowed to pass, the proplem should have been resolved before end of school term in 1st grade. Sorry for your trouble. Remember: This to shall pass.
    Laura
    P.S.
    read to her every nightno matter what make the time. Show her that u are interested & dont get frustrated w/ her, read the word w/ her or by yourself.
    Call4me

Answer by Call4me at 11:09 PM on Oct. 30, 2009