To teachers, really would like your advice

I'm thinking of becoming an elementary teacher. I would just like to know if you like it or wish you would have done something else instead. What are the things you like about it and the things you don't like.

momofpurebliss

Asked by momofpurebliss at 12:06 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in

• I think it would depend where you work (what state). I am NOT a teacher, but my DD's teacher told me that due to that no child left behind program in Ca, she no longer enjoys teaching. She cannot teach the way that she wants to, and they literally spend the whole year teaching the kids HOW to test for the state tests. She used to like to do alot of hands on. She saw through the years that her kids retained more info and were more interested, (plus it was fun!) she used to make games that would go on a whole month based on what they were studying. The kids had fun, and they learned so much! Now they cant do things like that. Its worksheets, language arts and Math 80% of the day. If where you would be working has that, or any other program that inhibits the way you would like to be as a teacher, you may not enjoy it. Find out if there is anything like that or other programs that you may not like to teacher under
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I absolutely love teaching! If you are going into to it for the right reasons you will probably be very happy. I can't imagine another career.

Many of the unhappy teachers I see went into teaching because they thought it was a part time job. If you want to do a great job expect to work 45-50 hours a week and on weekends sometimes. When you get a job, really look into the schools. If you can be picky at all (right now teachers need to take any jobs they can get) find a school with an administrator who is easy to work for. Good Luck!

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• It really does depend on where you teach and if your principal and coworkers are psycho or not. I taught elementary in CA for 9 years. What I didn't expect is that I had absolutely NO SAY in which grade level I taught or which school I taught. I got moved around a lot. I had some freakishly crazy psycho nutjob principals that scared me, and some were heaven-sent. It's a crap shoot.

I'm taking some time off now, but want to get back into it because I love to see the growth my students show each year from the beginning to the end.

Some states are harder to get certified in than others. It usually takes several years, so be prepared for that, unless you work at a private school which doesn't require much but you don't get paid much. One of my favorite parts is that you can't beat the schedule! I get the same days off as my kids and things like holiday and summer daycare is never a problem because I'm home.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2009