Should I have a hysterectomy or not?

I had 3rd stage endometriosis 10 yrs ago; they told me then (after treatment) that in 5 yrs it would be back and I would need to have one. They didn't do it then because I wanted to try to get pregnant, which I was unable to do.
I am having constant mild pain and frequent periods sometimes with a lot of pain.
I will not be able to take synthetic estrogen because my mom had estrogen-positive breast cancer.
I get occasional ovarian cysts that spontaneously rupture, causing some pain but no major problems.
I was planning to just go ahead and have the surgery, but have since heard every hysterectomy horror story there is, and am now scared to. Does anybody have a good outcome after this surgery?

soonergirl83

Asked by soonergirl83 at 12:13 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Health

• I had a complete hysto when was just 27 due to the nature of my problems. Severe pain, lots of bleeding, etc. I'm also the one that insisted on it being complete as the dr even called me the night before to say "If I can save one of your ovaries???" Needless to say I knew my own body better then he did and he found everything a horrible mess when he went in and couldn't save anything. To me it was a great relief to be out of the misery & pain that I was in all the time since 6th grade! I'm now 46 and don't regret it in the least. The only thing I do wish was that they had told me at the time that I could lose bone mass. I now have ostopena but that is being taken care of with Fosamax and have since gotten much of it back. If you decide to have it take vit D & calcium which will help prevent this. Otherwise I say go with what your body tells you. I did & don't regret it.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:47 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I say weigh the pros and cons of each. If you are having constant discomfort, is it worth it a few more years NOT to have to go through the hysterectomy side effects? Or would you rather get it over and done with, going through some time of "menopause", all to feel better sooner? You will have to go through it at one point or another.

I say, do it now. That way all you have to deal with is the hysterectomy stuff for a time rather than a londer term of your now discomfort PLUS the added time of the hysterectomy side effects.

missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Before you decide to go through a hysterectomy, I suggest to research alternative therapies to endometriosis. I have that, PCOS, and I frequently get large cysts on my ovaries. I have had three surgeries relating to all of that. Alternative therapies are the only things that have taken my pain away. BC never did it.

If you research it, and decide it's not something you want to commit to, then go for the hysterectomy. The pain isn't worth it if you are unable to conceive.

If you try it, and it doesn't work, or if you try it, but it's too difficult for you, then at least you know you've tried everything.

Also, look into lupron depot. I'm not sure if you've had that yet, but it's been known to help tremendously. It takes all the estrogen out of your body, so you don't have to worry about that portion.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 12:35 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I you can avoid surgery, then you should do so. Hospitals are dirty, germy places.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:15 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• my mom had one. She loved it. HAd zero problems during and the 15 years afterwards.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:06 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I LOVE my uterus free life. I got my hyst when I was 30, life was amazing. I did keep my ovaries at the time but 6 years later I had them out. I'm not into conservative treatments for endo, unless you plan on having more children, they are only temp and you end up on the Operating table more often then just getting it all out. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:21 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I had a hysterectomy 8 years ago (still have my ovaries) and I don't regret it one bit!  There were no complications with my surgery and I was home in 3 days instead of the standard 5.  I followed my doctors recovery instructions to the letter and practically bounced into her office for my 6 week post op check. 

I don't miss periods.  I don't miss cramps.  I don't miss pads and tampons.  I don't have to worry about unwanted pregnancies.  Several health issues that I had been dealing with for years started to get better and in most cases disappeared completely.   I haven't felt or looked this good since my 20's and I'm 46 now.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I had my hysto last year. It was the best decision I ever made! No more pain...no more period. Sex doesn't hurt anymore and no more worries about the reproductive cancer that runs in my family. I even followed my doc's advice about rubbing cocoa butter on my scar and it's not visible. I'm glad I had it done.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 11:26 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Great to hear all the positive answers! Thank you all so much- I'm not scared now!
    soonergirl83

Answer by soonergirl83 at 2:19 AM on Nov. 5, 2009