How do I get my 2 1/2 to sleep in his own bed?

He sleeps in my bed with me and my husband sleeps on the couch. Ive tried everything like falling asleep in his room by his bed. and he keeps waking up to come into my bed. I dont know what to do. Weve tried bedtime routines and still he freaks out to come in my bed.

Cubbies627

Asked by Cubbies627 at 12:18 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is a matter of consistency and refusing to give in. HE knows that you will let him if he gets up, so you have to, first time,take him back and say "It is bed time, you need to sleep in your room like a big boy!" second time he gets up "Its time for bed. I love you..." and every time after take him back in without saying anything. it could take hours, but he will eventually go to sleep in there. it may take a few nights and you may be tired and feel bad or w/e, but it isn't mean and in the long run it will work.

Trust me... this is what Super Nanny did, lol!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My daughter was the same way up until her little brother was born. I went into the hospital to have my baby and when I came home a few days later she was sleeping in her own bed. I guess the trick was that she had to be without me for a few nights. It may sound a little severe but perhaps you could go aways for a night or two and leave him with your husband. Since it's you that he's seeking in your bed if you are not there then what's the point of getting in your bed.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 12:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I agree with MissBreezy214. I watch the Super Nanny do it episode after episode with children who refuse to sleep in their own beds, or just who refuse to go to sleep at all. Ontop of that, it's just a matter of consistancy as well. Like MissBreezy said, your child knows you'll allow it, so they don't even question whether they should or not. Once they realize you're not giving in this time, they'll give in themselves and sleep in their own bed.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• i ahve the same problem so i dont have a good answer for you!! ive try everything and he'll wake up in the middle of the night to go to my bed. but he will sleep sometimes through the night in his bed and he will take his nap there too but he need our privacy!!!
    dianaNbryanMami

Answer by dianaNbryanMami at 9:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2009