Training a puppy - PLEASE HELP

We got a rat terrier about a month ago, we have been pad training him, he went the last three days without a single accident, then all of a sudden today he refuses to go on the pad at all! even if we stop him mid pee and put him on the pad he refuses to go there, What could cause this and how do I stop it?

Laura_Cruz

Asked by Laura_Cruz at 12:18 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Pets

• I would start from the beginning and begin crate/kennel training and teaching him to "potty outside". Puppy pad can be confusing and I generally tend to avoid them unless you live in a 3rd + story apartment with no balcony. If you do live in an apartment it might help if you got a kiddy pool for the balcony and filled it with sod.

It's pretty normal for puppies to "relapse" just try to be consistent with them! Smaller breeds can be more difficult to house train and take longer then larger dogs.

Petsmart actually has a little potty training manual for $5 that's actually pretty god. You might want to grab one of those and read through it.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:24 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I completely agree with Blueliner. The pads can be confusing, after all you don't find pads outside, where ideally a dog should go. Learn potty cues, winning, barking, pacing by door and put the dog outside. Also when the puppy wakes in the morning, and after he or she eats.- these are some of the times to put puppy out. Reward the puppy for going.

Again totally agree with Blueline it's very easy for a dog to relapse , and to my knowledge they have a short attention span when it comes to discipline. If a dog has an accident in the house, you have to catch them in the act, yelling or whatever after the fact is pointless.
    A crate is the best thing you can do for you dog. It's like the dogs home and VERY rarely only if sick wil a dog soil it's living area, after all it's where they sleep.
    luvububee

Answer by luvububee at 12:39 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I am unable to have him go outside because it is too cold, the ground is covered in snow
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 12:41 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Clear out/ shovel out a patch of ground/grass for him to go on and get him a sweater or coat, you can even get boots. I potty trained both my dogs in Minnesota and they are both very short coated breeds. If you have a garage you could always try the sod in the kiddy pool idea in the garage, but there is really no reason why you can't teach him to go outside. My dogs went outside when it was 35-40 below 0! They just did it faster lol!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:01 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I saw you live at Fort Carson. I'll be there the week after Christmas, let me know if you're still having issues and we can set up a training session :) www.SpotOnObedience.com
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:04 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• He is a smart puppy. Those pads are a waste of time and money all they really do is confuse the dog. Every dog that i have worked with who was trained in this way either used anything that was on the floor or just used the floor. Those pads teach them to go in the house. I would start over with a crate. I would also make sure you take the puppy outside 10 to 15 mintues after he eats drinks or plays. Take him to the same spot every time and give a reward when he goes. Get him on a better shedule as well. Also if you do not catch him in the act if he does have an accident you can not ppunish him.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:31 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I agree, i never have used the potty pads (i've trained three dogs, one in the middle of Jan with snow on the ground at 3am), I find them a waste of time and money. Take him outside every hour if you have to (make sure to bring a bit of food and a treat), when he goes outside, give him a treat and a pet, maybe say encouraging words (good dog etc). It won't happen immediately but I promise it will, it's just like potty training a child except you have to go outside (hopefully everyone potty trains their child inside...).
    Aniyunwiya

Answer by Aniyunwiya at 6:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2009