i just bought the smuckers uncrustables peanut and jelly mini sandwiches.. i was wonder does anyone think this is ok to give to my 17month old? he's so picky on what he eats and he seems to like them please help!

dorey13

Asked by dorey13 at 12:37 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he has had peanut butter before without a reaction, then it should be fine.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:39 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• No! They have partially hydrogenated oils in them! No one should eat them. But, if that doesn't bother you, then I don't see a problem. :)
    Teresagreb

Answer by Teresagreb at 12:39 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• their are worse things your 17 month old could be eating. the important thing is that he eats lol. try to get the healthier versions of things or make pb&j yourself and cut the crust off. its just as easy and my 2 year olds love it just the same.
    Shannie023

Answer by Shannie023 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Yeah, I always just cut the crust off for my 15 month old. It's also better to use whole grain breads and grape jam is much better than jelly. It has more fruit. Plus, it's a lot cheaper to make it yourself!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:49 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• It would be better to just make your own pb&j sandwiches for him. He definitely doesn't need the other stuff in the lunchables package, so you're spending a lot of money for not much of anything.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:26 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Does anyone else cringe inwardly at the choice of the word "uncrustable". It evokes images of Things Nobody Would Ever Willingly Put In One's Mouth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Ha-ha, Anon!
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:01 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Jelly has a lot of sugar - I only use the all fruit with no added sugar, and always whole wheat bread. I guess it depends on what he's eating that instead of - if he's eating that instead of a twinkie, then yes it's better.

Answer by missanc at 9:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Honestly i wouldn't give that type of processed stuff to anyone. It is OK to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich from regular bread and cut the crust off. I use whole grain bread, peanut butter without hydrogenated oils and jam or preserves instead of jelly.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:45 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• The fact that you're asking the question suggests that you have some concerns about them. I think it falls into the "all things in moderation" bucket. Now that you know he'll eat PB&J, I'd try making them yourself as others suggested with whole grain bread. For those times when you're in a hurry or need him to eat something, go for it.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 27, 2009