We live on a corner lot . . . .

and someone keeps placing political signs between the street and the sidewalk in the grass. We are responsible for the cleaning and shoveling/salting the sidewalk, so is that property between the sidewalk and street ours too? I know this is a stupid question, but we're getting really frustrated at the signs that keep appearing and the fact that someone takes it upon themself to place it there without our permission ESPECIALLY because they are political signs. We own our house too, we're not renters. Can they just keep putting signs there and is it a big deal if we remove them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would keep removing them. Those signs can get expensive to keep purchasing, so if you take them down repeatedly they will get the hint.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:03 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I think it would be considered your property. Go outside and look for property markers or check out your local county's office for maps of where properties start and stop. I would put a sign out there saying "private property...no political signs" and see what happens.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Call the court house and they should be able to send you to the right place to find out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• when you bought your house in the paper work most likely in your appraisal it should have a map showing your property lines it might also be in the paperwork you received from the title company before you signed.

I know in my parents house anything past the sidewalk was considered city property but we were responsible for maintaining it, my home has the sidewalk against the curb so I don't have this problem.

You could also call the city planning dept and ask them what the city ordinences say about the signs if anything :)

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:54 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Well, there aren't any property markers. Just imagine that your house is on the corner and along the entire perimeter of the front and side yard has a sidewalk and between the sidewalk and the street there is a strip of grass. I guess the only reason that we're unsure is because of the sidewalk which is clearly public domain, so is the grass between the sidewalk and the street public domain also?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• What really irritates me too is that I haven't seen these signs on any other corner in our neighborhood, so it looks as though it is our views, you know what I mean? Well, we removed them for now and put them in our shed. I highly doubt they will come knocking on our door for them and if they do, well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My inlaws live on a corner lot and have this going on to right now. But here, 4-7 ft from the road is considered township//county property. So they dont have much of a say in what happens. Only, they have to keep it mowed and weeded.
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 12:59 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I know when we bought our house our property line went to the middle of the road, but thats in Alabama. I would get a plat to be sure.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:59 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My parents live on the corner lot and they put those stupid signs right in there yard without asking them

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I figure if you have to mow and maintain it, you get to decide what signs go up or not. Keep them in the shed, toss them, whatever.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:19 AM on Oct. 27, 2009