Do southern people dislike "yankees"?

We are currently in GA while my husband is working, originally, from WI. We feel like we are treated different because of our midwest accent. Husband says the guys at work who are from the south have told him alot of southerners do not like anyone from the north. Is this true? Please be truthful, I really would like an honest answer and also if it is true , why is this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I've never really witnessed it as far as it being a problem. I've always considered myself as being a yankee trapped in the south because I'm not like my southern counterparts. But no we have great southern hospitality here. Tell your hubby to remind them who won the civil war ;-)
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 1:24 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I've lived in the south my entire life & I'm completely indifferent. I think people that have issues with something like that are looking for a reason to hate. They need to do something more productive with their time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I was born and raised in east Texas, and I never really saw any dislike for anybody. People where I'm from are really open and welcoming to new people regardless of their differences or where they're from. I can't say that for ALL southerners because I don't know them and I've not travelled everywhere in the south, but I can honestly tell you it's not ALL southerners that dislike "yankees" lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I was born and raised in Virginia, and I can tell you I saw a lot of people judging "Yanks" because of where they were from. I think the general idea is that southerners believe that they are more righteous because they work harder for what they get. I think southerners believe northerners are simply "born into" wealth and prosperity, and never work for anything. Plus, I think we're still a little butt-hurt about the war.
    CoffeeOrDeath

Answer by CoffeeOrDeath at 2:26 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• hope not I married a southerner! : )
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:41 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I am in GA too, just outside Atlanta. I find that there may be a distrust of "yankees" in the more rural parts of the south, away from any of the bigger cities. But here in the Atlanta 'burbs, I'd say the majority of people living here are not even originally from Georgia, so it's totally a non-issue. Are you in a more rural area? If so, that's probably the only reason why anyone's even talking about it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:22 AM on Oct. 27, 2009