My newborn is passing a lot of gas but not pooping. Is this normal?

I was told by nurses that he should be making a poopy diaper, at least one a day, but I haven't seen any poop yet today. He does pass a lot of gas though. Is there an explanation? Is this in the normal realm?

preggoandfat

Asked by preggoandfat at 1:25 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, it is.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Completely normal - babies will often go days without pooping. As long as their poop is not hard and dry, there is no problem.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 1:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Especially a breastfed baby 'can' go a few days with mo poop. Mt EBF dd went 6 days! I was freaked out but they told me it was okay as long as she did not pass the 8 day mark. I don't know a bout formula fed though... if that's the case.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:30 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Mine did the same. I started supplementing with formula, 1-2 bottles a day and he poops every day now, is much happier and is gaining weight agian.
    Jessycwr

Answer by Jessycwr at 11:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2009