Has anyone heard of bloody looking discharge being passed in newborn urine?

My newborn has been having what looked like blood from urine in his dirty diapers. A friend told me that her newborn also has this and her doctor said it's actually discharge from the liver. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone else have more information on this? Thanks.

preggoandfat

Asked by preggoandfat at 1:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is totally normal -- it is from uric acid and gives their urine a pink crystal-ly powder look whe it dries. Both my kids had this - kind of freaked me out the first time I saw it, but the Dr. assured me it was ok :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 1:41 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Did your baby have jaundice?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• my babies had the same thing
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:15 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• both of my children, boy and girl, both had a little blood in there urine a couple of times. If it doesn't clear up or he gets a fever or the urine begins to have a bad smell then i would call the ped.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:29 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Yes, my son had it at the hospital and the nurse said it was normal. We went home and it was in every single diaper. After a day at home we thought he was not eating enough (I was BFing) so I called the lactation consultant and she asked about his diapers and I mentioned that all of them had the uralites and the lactation consultant told me that one or two diapers is very normal but every single diaper means that he was dehydrated so I took him back to the hospital and he was dehydrated because, as it turned out, I was not making any milk (poor baby). So my point is, one or two diapers normal, every diaper call your doctor.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 10:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2009