Pagans, agnostics and atheists, do you own a bible?

If you do own the Holy Bible, do you ever read it? What kind of purpose does it serve being in your house?
If you do read it, what is your favorite scripture or bible story?

I do own a bible. I do read it on occasion. It currently serves the purpose of being a hard surface for my mouse pad to sit on (i'm on a laptop and i usually chill on the couch).
Not sure if i really have a favorite scripture, but my favorite stories from the bible have always been the ones where Jesus is healing others. Like the Two Blind Men.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 1:30 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have like 5 different versions of it, grand total I think we have about 11 Bibles in the house (excluding our Witches' Bible). I read from them from time to time, usually looking up scriptures for other people. I think that it's Psalm 91 that I've always loved, but I'm not sure. I'll have to look. I just like Psalm in general, I think it's beautiful. They're all sitting on shelves right now, I think. I have several other Christian books on shelves, and a few Catholic books, etc. I find every religious text helpful to my spirituality in some way or another.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:43 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• No, I don't.
    Ironically, once had a church have me fill out a card so they could send me a Bible... and I never got it. LOL
    My mom has a very LARGE illustrated Bible -- have no clue where she got it from. I liked looking at the pictures when I was little.
    That's about it.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:39 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I have read the bible from front to back, it took me a year and a half to finish it. I like Gensis. God had such I hopes for us. . .
    zassymama2

Answer by zassymama2 at 1:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• sacred-texts.com
    cheaper than trying to collect every religious book out there, including all the assorted versions of the bible nobody can agree on.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:10 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Yes I own a bible and no I don't read it.  It's purpose is a family heirloom which has been in my family for close to 150 years.  It has all the births, deaths and marriages in my family since 1829 recorded in it and is passed down from namesake to namesake.  I inherited it from my grandmother and will pass it on to my oldest daughter.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:32 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I have two or three. They are currently under my bed. I didn't want to throw them away, as they are books and I hold books in high regard. Besides, now that I have kids, I can use them to teach them about the Christian religion.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:13 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I no longer own a bible, no... however I do refer to the online bible at biblegateway.com from time to time when I'm discussing something about the Christian faith... not really sure what did happen to mine.. but I lost a lot of things while moving from here to there so much in the past 5 or 6 years. My DD does have a childrens bible however.. as I stated before.. I'm not a Christian.. but I will teach my daughter about as many beliefs and religions as I can, so that when she is old enough, she has the education to make the decision about HER own faith on her own. As for favorite passages.. I don't really have any. I look at the bible like I would look at Shakespeare... one quote could be pulled to mean a million things, a at the right time, and in the right context, it can be a beautiful quote..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I have a Portuguese one from Brazil. I tried reading it when I was in my hotel room, but I don't actually speak Portuguese, so my Spanish-French-Italian knowledge wasn't getting me all the way to understanding it. I kept it as a memento of my trip. I have another one somewhere, I got it for a course on the philosophy of the middle ages, and used it again for references to Job in a paper on Frost's "Masque of Reason" back in college.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:49 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Not any more. I finally got rid of it over the summer when I went through all my stuff. I was going to donate it but I doubt anyone would want a Catholic Bible covered in Snoopy contact paper and filled with highlights (it was my Bible from high school...I went to Catholic school). I donated the clean copy of the Book of Mormon I had.
    I've read most of the Bible and studied parts pretty thoroughly in school. Never got through the Book of Mormon though.
    It doesn't interest me and was just taking up space in a box. I'm sure the "family" Bible is around here somewhere. We got it when my gramma's cousin died when I was a kid. My mom kept it (it was huge) and filled it with important stuff but I have no clue where it is.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I have more than a few. One is my deceased Grandmother's family Bible with all the geneology on the front page and news clippings and funeral cards stuck in the pages. I have many different translations beacause I like to compare versus to see how far off some of them are.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:59 AM on Oct. 27, 2009