Christians (and Muslims and Jews too), do own any sacred text of another faith?

The Qur'an maybe? (or if you are Muslim do you own a bible?) Maybe you have a copy of Bagvadhgita?
If you do have some sacred text of another faith, do you read it? What purpose does it serve being in your house?
If you read it, what is your favorite quote, poem, or story from that text?

As many of you know, i'm Pagan. And as such i have a fair amount of Pagan and witchcraft books. I also own the Qu'ran and a Bible (both belonged to my mom) I also have a book on Buddhism and i have written a lengthy essay on Hinduism and it's effect on Sikhism. I also own several books on "mythology" of course.

I'm not sure if i could pick a favorite story as this question is so broad that it covers so many faiths. ...Maybe after i hear your favorites something will come to mind.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 1:43 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I own various copies of Gnostic Gospels, Rabbinical and other Pseudopigraphic Jewish, Palestinian and early Christian literature as well as the Apocrypha. I also have the Qu'ran, the Gita, the Mahabarata, the Upanishads (in various combinations. It's been a long time since I've pulled them out and read them so I can't get specific). I own/have read various texts relating to Buddhism, Zoroastrianism and other religions, but it's been a while. I've read the Bible several times in several different translations. I've read a lot of books on Eastern Philosophy (not necessarily sacred texts).

"It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world. If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. " -Ghandi

(the OP already knows I'm a Christian :-) )
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:10 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Yes I am a Christian and we have the torah the q'uran and we had the satanic bible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I have 3 Bibles in a box to send to my aunt. I had them because I was Christian from birth up until 1 1/2 yrs ago when I reverted to Islam. All I need now is the Quran.
    GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 2:08 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• As for my favorite texts of religions other than my own...I like Jubilees, Enoch and the Books of Adam and Eve, although technically, you could say they relate to Judaeo-Christianity.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:13 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Well being muslim I have loads of Qurans LOL, But i had a Quran for several years before I converted, the first time I read it, I didnt like it and stuck it up on a shelf for several years to gather dust. ( By its judgement I was for hell at that time ) At that time I also had a bible, and some new testament books, although I didnt really consider myself Christian at that point either. And i had loads of books on other religions. I had sacred texts of religions you never even heard about !!! Books on mythology , occult, paranormal, etc.

Dont have or read them much anymore

Most of the books were accumulated looking for the "truth" about religion / life.

My favourite non-muslim quote is from a book by Lois Bourne ( not exactly a sacred text though lol, ) which went something like this (not got the book anymore). The answer to dying is no more in death than the answer to life is in being born. -or something like that
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 2:16 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Just reread it and it should read

The answer to dying isnt in death, anymore than the answer to life is in being born. -- I think LOL

After being muslim for a few years I cleared out a lot of books to the second hand bookstore, I did keep some for reference, or those which had a significance for me, I might consult them from time to time , but not very often, I tend to stick to reading the Quran and hadiths now.

zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 2:55 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I have about 10 different versions of the Bible, a Book of Mormon, a Catholic Bible, a Qu'ran, the Dead Sea Scrolls... and a velvet Elvis painting.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• no
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:46 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• No, but I'm not opposed to it, it just hasn't been a reasonable expense. My DH has a book of Mormon somewhere that was given to him by an ex-girlfriend. I would like to read the Qu'ran one day. I do have several books on mythology, something that's always interested me. I don't mind learning about others beliefs and these books would serve for educational purposes only. As many believe of my bible, these are just works of fiction for me.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:09 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• When i became muslim, i got rid of all other books except one bible which i keep for reference. I have a few leaflets of Jehova Witness documents which i found strewn on the floor of a post office. I picked them up and brought them home because they are written in the arabic language and therefore have Allah's name all over it and it is not befitting nor permitted that Allah's name is desecrated in such a way as to be on a dirty floor.

I don't have a favorite verse at all from any book other than the Quran.

I wanted to say about the comment Zan made.. I too had a copy of the English Translation of the meaning of the Quran tucked away in a closet shelf for a very long time(3years or so). When i first tried to read it, for some reason, i just couldn't get past the first few verses... then one day after many trials and tribulations, i picked it up... and since then have become muslim.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:15 AM on Oct. 27, 2009