i think i might have to have a c-section and im really scared of what to expect, any advice that can help?

audri216

Asked by audri216 at 2:16 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Is this your first? When are you due?Is this something your doctor or midwife has discussed with you or you're suspecting?
    Why do you think you might? You're having new complications?
    Are you getting a second opinion? Being given alternatives?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:28 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• If you have a c-section make sure to lay straight on your back right after the surgery for at least if not more than 24 hours. That is if you get the epidermal...I'm not sure if that is the right spelling but, I got the shot in my back and my nurses neglected to tell me to lay straight on my back for the first 24 hours so, I went home with a newborn and couldn't move without excruciating pain in my neck and back to take care of her. I thank God that we were staying at my mom's house for the 1st month so she could help, she ended up taking care of my baby girl more than me cause I couldn't move. I'm not trying to scare you, just letting you know how important it really is to lay straight on your back after the epidermal. Good luck and congratulations on your new one!!
    IAmFreeToDance

Answer by IAmFreeToDance at 2:29 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• well today at my doctors appt my midwife told me that she thinks ill probably have to have a c-section, i am 28 weeks and we are having a little girl, she has gastroschesis, i live in Yuma AZ but i have to deliver in Pheonix AZ so there can b a pediatric surgeon on when she is born cuz she will have to have surgery 1 to 2 hrs after she is born so my midwife isnt gonna be there for the delivery so its up to the doctors in Pheonix whts gonna happen and i havent had my consultation yet with the doctors there but today my midwife said she thinks i might have to have a c-section so im really worried i dont know what to expect, i am scared too!
    audri216

Answer by audri216 at 2:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• The c-section itself is pretty easy. It's the recovery that sucks. If you have the epidural, make sure you take it really easy for the first couple of days. If you have the spinal, lay flat on your back for the first day or two, or you're likely to end up with a massive headache that won't go away. General anesthesia I've never had. Expect to be in pain for at least a week or two, and make sure you have help for that period. Some women feel great soon afterward, but you want to be prepared for if you don't feel so great. You'll probably need to have someone else in the room with you if you want your baby to room in (if that's even a possibility in your case. Good luck, and I hope you both recover well. If you want further info, PM me. I've had two c-sections. I could give you a wealth of information, but it would take like seven answers, lol.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 3:13 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I dont remember my CSection because I had an eclamptic seizure. But I remember my recovery afterwards. About 12 hours after the procedure, (I was unable to get an epideral because of the seizure so I dont know when the feeling will actually come back) I started walking around, at least to the bathroom. I would say to get up as soon as you can and walk even if it is a few steps. I could walk normal by 2 days but I NEVER tried to pick things up, bend over, or even lean to get a drink off the table. It is a whole lot easier on you if you have someone doing just about everything for you, even the baby. Hold the baby, but let yourself completely heal before you tsrat leaning down in the crib to get the baby. My incision healed completely in 5 days, it has been 5 months and I still see the scare, but it has faded alot since I had her. After abouta week and a half after I had her though, I had a seroma (blood clot type thing) and my
    Allie120

Answer by Allie120 at 7:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• continued....and my incision didnt drain out completely so there is just an empty space in your belly now and all that extra blood needs to drain. if not a very hard bump will appear where your incision is at. It will literally feel like a golfball and grow. Sometimes, the blood clot will absorb itself and othertimes it wont. I didnt want to wait, so I told the doctor to cut me open in the doctors office. I had a litocane shot(spell check) and she took the seroma out, told me I will have to pack the wound myself. That was difficult in the sense I couldnt see down there yet, so I had a friend do it. And it literally healed completely again about 2 weeks later. You should assess yourself and do what you feel is comfortable to you after a Cesection. My other option to do with my breech child was called a Webster Adjustment. Kind of liek a chiro, but she adjusts something for you and they are specialized in pregnancy.
    Allie120

Answer by Allie120 at 7:23 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• continiued....after the adjustment, the baby should flip around. Try it out if you would like. I either had to have a manual version or a Csection. I looked that up and said, "Why not give that a try." Oh and here is another suggestion that helped me getting up and sitting down. Use the boppy pillow. Put it around your stomach and use it to get up and sit...and it even helped to sit ON an actual pillow too. Good Luck....sorry for rambling.
    Allie120

Answer by Allie120 at 7:26 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I can honestly say that my C-Section was not bad at all! I know that it is different for some people but afterwards, I was actually glad that I had it, even though it was an emergency at the last minute. I was up and showered the next morning. You don't have all of that pain "down there". You do have some incision site soreness but mine was not horrible...I seriously only took the pain meds for the 1st day then refused them after that. Good Luck with yours but don't think the worst! It really isn't so bad!
    jmoran

Answer by jmoran at 8:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I had C-sections but because of epilepsy, they give me general anesthesia. The second was much much easier than the first because I got up and started walking up and down the hall a lot sooner. I was ready to go home before they were ready to send me home.
    Glutenfreebaby

Answer by Glutenfreebaby at 8:53 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• i think that in this case, a c/s is going to be best. sections are major abdominal and there's always a risk to it, but in this case since the intestines are developing outside the cavity, vaginal birth might injure the baby more. talk to your dr that you choose and get him to talk you through it, that way he can prepare you. i've seen a few c/s. you'll feel a lot of pressure and recovery is very hard. i would look into getting a post partum doula. she would be VERY helpful when you get home. how long will your baby have to be in the hospital?
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2009