Hi all! I am curious to know how the transition from 1 to 2 children was for parents. We have a 3 yr old boy who no longer naps during the day, and a new little one on the way in the spring. Everyone keeps saying how difficult it's going to be. Anyone want to share any experiences or helpful tips? Thank You!!

CanadianMama182

Asked by CanadianMama182 at 2:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I've heard that it's harder to transition from having one to having two than it is to go from two to three. I think the hard part is probably figuring out how to juggle them both. I am sure it is hard in the same why that having a new born is hard: it's tiring, and frustrating at times - but you wouldn't change a moment of it for anything in the world.

You guys will be just fine. Don't let people scare you, they love to do that! Best of luck and congrats!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:01 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I'll be honest, it was very difficult for me, but my 2nd born had colic and screamed all night. The exhaustion probably had a HUGE effect on the transition. Get as much rest as you can and you will be fine. there is nothing sweeter than seeing your older child play with the baby, try and get him tp laugh, and even share toys!! It will be so much fun. Just enjoy it and relax.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• For me it wasn't a problem. My daughter took naps until she was 5. My son was born when my daughter was 3. Once she stopped taking naps she would play in her room during nap time and still does. My son is now 5 and he still has to have a nap.
    jessicazeksmom

Answer by jessicazeksmom at 7:14 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• It wasn't really hard for me or my oldest but that's probably because she was only 15 months. She didn't really remember not having a baby brother and took to him right away. There was no jealousy and she loved helping with him. I was still young (24 when the 2nd was born) and had a lot more energy so I was okay even dealing with his colic (he cried from 11pm-2am EVERY night). It wasn't always easy but we got by. Then 13 months after hew as born our 3rd was born and I didn't even flinch. We had barely gotten him off of bottles when I had to start making them again. It was instinct by then.
    For me it was hardest to go from 3 to 4 because the youngest was 3 1/2 at the time (the other two were 4 1/2 and almost 6). I just couldn't get back into "baby mode" like with the other 3.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:04 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Its not so bad, just get the oldest involved before baby comes, let them help pick thing out for baby and once baby comes let them help. Try to make a little time for the oldest one on one, bath time works great.Good luck and enjoy!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 8:49 AM on Oct. 27, 2009