Any advice or encouragement for a first doctors appointment?

I have my first doctors appointment tomorrow(paperwork, pap smear, pelvic exam).
I am glad to finally see a doctor but I am nervous lol.

Since I've taken my pregnancy test I have had moments of doubts that I am pregnant. My other concern is that the baby will have something wrong with him/her. I know all of this is normal but I wish I would not think this way.

I was told that within a few days of this appointment, I will be given an ultra sound. I had asked if they do a blood test and I was told it was not necessary since pregnancy tests are pretty accurate. This eased my doubts alot but I still have them.

I am also nervous because I have never had a pelvic exam. I have only read about it.

tickled_pink09

Asked by tickled_pink09 at 2:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's embarrassing, and uncomfortable, but very necessary. Once it's over, it's over! I had a male doctor at first but he was so detached and businesslike that I switched over to the female OB/GYN in the same office and she was MUCH better. If you have a doctor you are comfortable with, it's not too bad. Don't worry too much, stress isn't good for the baby :)
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:33 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• How long does it last(the pap smear and pelvic exam)?
    tickled_pink09

Answer by tickled_pink09 at 2:35 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Just a few minutes...the pap smear is kind of weird...they take a long q-tip thing and take a few cells from your cervix to check for any abnormalities (they have to send the sample to a lab for testing, so you don't get the results right away.)
    Honestly, the longest part is waiting for the doctor to come in. Have your husband/boyfriend/significant other come in the room with you if you want; you have to endure it, so does he!!!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:43 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Thankfully it's a few minutes.
    My hubby is coming in for the support. lol-- yes, I should not be the only one enduring this!
    tickled_pink09

Answer by tickled_pink09 at 2:47 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• hey!! i just had my first appointment today! the pelvic exam seriously takes like 2 minutes they put a finger in you press against up there and take their other hand and feel around where the baby is its honestly not so bad at all!! it was so quick! the pap smear is kinda weird feels awkard they put a long q tip you in and check ur cervix stuff like that. i had to make another appointment for an ultrasound and i have to go to their other office for blood work after you have all that they will give u a slip for blood work to keep an eye on ur hcg levels
    congrads! and dont stress! let me know how it goes! think positive
    and i also encourage u to have ur hubby there! it made me feel more comfortable since i had a guy obgyn
    Tracey1988

Answer by Tracey1988 at 2:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Thank you!
    These two weeks have gone by so quickly that it seems like just yesterday that was scheduled for this appointment lol.

I am definatley having hubbers there. I can't bare the thought of going in alone! Besides, my husband hates needles and I went with him when he had a tetnis shot. I figure he owes me--just kidding lol.

2 minutes is not long for an exam. I can handle that. I thought it would be five minutes or so for some reason.

Thanks for encouraging. I really need it!
    tickled_pink09

Answer by tickled_pink09 at 2:58 AM on Oct. 27, 2009