Horrid cat urine smell?

My cats have claimed the downstairs closet as their own on numerous occasions and though i have tried febreeze and urine gone neither have gotten rid of the odor- any suggestions?

Jezture

Asked by Jezture at 2:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Get Borax, you can find at walmart and several grocery stores, however is a lot cheaper at home depot, if you mix that with white vinegar, not only will it get rid of the smell to where you can not smell it the cats won't anymore either and will not be tempted to go there again.

you can also mix in a little bit of BLUE dawn dish soap to get any oils that may be left of the carpet.

I have had cats all my life and even at one point had 14 because of kitten litters and rescues i would find and still need to find homes, so accidents were plenty but my house never smelled like cats or cat pee because i would use that, you can mix all that together in a container and apply with a sponge, then rinse with cold water.
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 2:41 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Omg thank you! I just moved in with my mom and sis. well, I had to bring my cat and my sis has 2 already and well, my mom has a chihuaha. This house reaks!! My sis' cat pisses everywhere! and so does the stinking chihuaha!( even though my mom will never admit it.) My cat has started to pee over their pee cause he's older and wants to make that clear. So, you can imagine the nasty sink we have~! Ugh!!
    IAmFreeToDance

Answer by IAmFreeToDance at 2:55 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Once an animal, dog or cat, starts peeing repeatedly, the urine goes down into the backing of the carpet, and the padding too. So you can treat the carpet fibers all you want, and it's probably still going to stink because there's urine underneath. Plus, I can assure you that your animals still smell it even when it's under the surface, so they will continue to do it over and over. You've got to stop the animal from going first and foremost, then you will have to remediate the damage by pulling the carpet back in the closet, cutting out the pad, putting in a new piece, treating the back of the carpet with something for the odor, and relaying it. If the closet is not carpeted, the urine can still seep into the materials underneath, a wooden subfloor or whatever is in there, and it an be a major problem. People don't realize the damage that is done when animals are urinating in the house. It goes well beyond the surface.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• ^I agree completely. I don't care how clean someone thinks their house is, if a cat ever peed in the carpet I can smell it. The homeowners just get used to the smell, and oh yeah, you carry the smell with you in public. I can smell it, I am sure others can too.
    Pull up that carpet and get rid of it. Replace the flooring underneath, you will have telltale signs that it went past the padding, and replace it. Then put that cat outside, a house aint worth no cat.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2009