Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to do when a teenager with ADHD and ODD start flippin out?

I have a 19 and 17 year boys. They both have ADHD and ODD. The ODD is my main concern. They listen to and when they want to. They don't take shit from no one no matter who it is. They speak their minds too. Quiet time is nice until somethin triggers them, then all hell breaks loose! They both break stuff when they're angry. The 19 year old hits me in the arms and legs when he's mad at me. I've never pushed him to the limit, so I don't know what he's capable of. They're both bigger then any of us in the family. I'm lookin for moms who are dealin with the same thing I am. I will add you to my friends and we can talk. Please someone respond.

Answer Question

Asked by minpinluvr at 3:59 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • Bring them both to the doctors and get them both on medacation and see if that will help them both I understand that these are your children we are talking about but there comes a point with ODD and ADHD that you need to step up and get them under control it will get worse before it gets better do something KNOW before something really bad happens, you don't want them to end up hurting you or someone else REALLY bad or end up in jail. GL

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

  • My oldest brother has ADHD and did a lot of the same things. He never hit my mom but he was very impulsive and has a really bad temper. The best thing you can do is take them to the doctor and see what they recommend. My brother had a hard time with the meds when he was older because they gave him horrible headaches but the last time he tried was at least 10 years ago. I know they have newer meds now. You cannot allow then to act this way. Even though they have disorders they still know right from wrong and you need to get this taken care of ASAP. Good Luck!!!!! :)

    Answer by Frogbaby83 at 7:19 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

  • If they are breaking things, threatening anyone or hurting anyone, CALL THE POLICE..especially for the 19 year old. Don't let them use their disorders as excuses for poor behavior and choices. They are old enough to learn how to control their anger and other emotions. My son has ADHD and an anxiety disorder and he has NEVER been allowed to use either as an excuse for anything and I will never let him. Have their meds reevaluated and adjusted. Get them in counseling to learn how to control their emotions and live with their disorders.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.