First OB Apt at 14 wks?

What should I expect at this appointment?
I'll be seeing a male Midwife.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think midwives are great no matter their gender. You'll probably get an ultrasound and hear the babies heart beat.
    babygirl52709

Answer by babygirl52709 at 4:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• a male midwife that is awesome! 14 weeks is about average.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:18 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• be prepared for your appt to last about two hours..lol
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 5:33 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• 2 hrs?! Never had to wait 2hrs for an appt and had 3 babies.

I don't know how midwives work, but your first ultrasound is usually a vaginal one. It doesn't hurt, just don't tense up. They probably will weigh you and check your BP too. They may give you information on pregnancy and prenatal vitamins. You can buy cheap prenatals OTC or use Flintstones if you can't handle the prenatasl. Just ask your midwife before doing so.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• lol she didnt say WAIT for two hours...that the appt can last two hours...i dont know if that is how it is with a midwife but yea my appt was about that long for my first one, they went over everything known to man...lol um and as far as the vaginal ultrasound...i NEVER had one when i was pregnant with my two kids...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:53 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Um, a pelvic, checking for heart rate, height of fundus
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• i think the vaginal ultrasound is actually pretty uncommon. the first appointment varies a lot i think by provider. some will want to do a blood test, some will do an ultrasound. others will wait until the 2nd appt for that. most likely he will ask you a lot of questions about your health and family history of different stuff. my first midwife appt is in a month at 11 weeks, and i made a 2 page long list of questions to ask about the practice and the hospital. like whether or not i will have the same midwife at every appt, how on-call schedule work for when i go into labor, and whether i will be free from IV and EFM during birth :) i'm definitely not going to do the blood test the first time because i want to wait until my husband can be with me and he's not going to that one.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Oh blue, my bad, i still NEVER had a 2 hr appt!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• lol i waited in my room for over 30 minutes before and then when to ask my midwife what the heck was going on, and she had forgotten about me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 27, 2009