How do you discipline in public places?

I've got a just turned 3yo and a 4.5yo. They're pretty good at home, but when they know they can get away with things they test the boundaries at every turn! How do you discipline in public places?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Same way I do at home. I've tapped a few rumps in my day for misbehaving. I've also put one in the corner at a department store/grocery store. The sooner they know they can't push you, the sooner they act good in public. My kids are angels in public now.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 8:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Same as at home. I've parked butts on the floor in time out right in the middle of the store, and threatened to find a corner at the zoo. They can scream all they want, but until they stop their fits, we're not moving anywhere and all the people walking by can stare and make comments all they want.

My kids know I mean business and usually straighten up with a look now.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:15 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I have done two things. We usually talk about what will happen if they disobey - I talk to them when we park and right before we head inside to the store. The second thing - if they are out of hand, I leave. Unfortunately that means me having to make a second trip at another time, but they quickly have learned I don't just threaten. If I say we eill leave, we do.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:16 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• The same way I do at home. I'm not afraid to discipline my kid in public. I know I'm not abusing him. Although, he doesn't really act up in public, if he did, I'd handle it the same way I would if I were home. My son still sits in the cart, so there's really no time out. But I've popped him, and given him to the count of three, given him the look, etc.

LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My kids new better then to act up in public. If they did act up in public I just had to look at them. Then they would stop. Because they knew they would get a spanking when they got home.
    Yes I said SPANKING.

Answer by louise2 at 8:24 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Me and my friend ended uip running into this problem haha! Funny, sorry! She told my godson wait til he get home and she will remind him through the store you just wait... Then at home she would remind him of what he did and spank him and ste him aside for awhile.. She doesn't really have problems with him acting up... Anymore! My technique is nip it at the bud... I aint got patients like her I tell them in the store you got one more time and I will embarrass you infront of the lord and everyone.... Usually it stops there, lol cause they know! It took one good time spanking (lol don't beat your kid that's... Um, abuse) in front of everyone to show them that you are not afraid to displine in public
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 8:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Or stop what you are doing take them in your car or to the potty room and let them know it time to behave a lil discipline goes a long way
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 8:38 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My son knows that when we go out in town, he'd best behave. Otherwise, the "old lady in the closet" will eat his toys again. We don't know WHERE he picked that up but every time we come home and he's been bad, we take away some of his toys and he has to do small chores around the house to earn them back. But if it requires immediate attention, we go to the potty for a "time out." And, yes, I do spank my kids.
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 9:04 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Well, I don't spank DD yet. She just turned 12 months. LOL But we do put her in time out, same as my son. Spanking is always the last resort. One pop and then to the corner.
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 9:05 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• They get their talking to, but whispered in their ear. I don't yell at them in public. They also get my meany-mommy-boy-are-you-in-trouble look, and they know they're in for it. I also find a little pinch on their tooshy gets them focused back on good behavior.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:06 AM on Oct. 27, 2009