teacher holiday gifts?

my daughter started kindergarten this year so i'm starting to think about holiday shopping. i wish i had the money to get great gifts for all her teachers but i just don't. she has the one main teacher, then the bus driver, then the elective teachers, art, music, library, gym, technology, then the school staff, principal, front office, nurse. where do i draw the line? who should i get for? little gifts so everyone gets something or just one nice gift for the main teacher? if i give money or a gift card, for how much? anyone have gift ideas? what do you guys do? thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Uh, lmao! You are very nice!!! Cause I won't give them gift if I was broke or period!But I think you are a very thoughtful person, better than me anyways,lol! Nothing goes wrong with a treat basket with a nice do it yourself ribbon. Candies or fruit or brownies or Christmas cookies made from home...(From a can). Wrap it in colorful clear wrap( from the plastic seal isle at the grocery store) and slap a bow on there!lol cute yummy simple money saver and thoughtful! Make sure you add a little special note
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 8:26 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I always send baked goods as gifts, so his main teacher gets a bigger basket than his Spanish, Music and PE teachers. Our school also does a collection to give to each teacher, they send out a list and you mark how much you want to give to which teacher and then write one check, the PTA collects everything and divides it out into individual gift cards. I think this only works because we have a very small school, but that way we give something small to all the teachers and staff that help educate our kids. I usually end up giving about $5 for his main teacher and principal, and then about $2-$3 to other teachers and staff and that is added to what everybody else is giving. Maybe you can find out if there are group gifts you can add to, rather than trying to get individual gifts for each person.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 8:28 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Wow , you are a very nice person. I honestly hadn't thought of the bus driver...lol. Well this year I am also short on $ ( I quit my job to be a sahm) so this year I am making my dd's (she is in 1st grade) teacher's homemade oreo truffles....1 lg batch is plenty for all her teachers & they are so yummy :) ...not to mention easy to make (I can share the recipe if you want it). However, when I worked I bought them small candles at wal-mart for $1 and then I bought cute small bags from hobby lobby and then I bought a bag of reeses pb cups and divided them up between the bags . What woman doesn't like candles & chocolate ......:)
    sjlawrence356

Answer by sjlawrence356 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Yeah - I have 3 kids in school, one in a special needs classroom so I have 10 "school people" that I have to buy for. This year I'm getting them ornaments from the dollar store (I got some nice ones there a couple years ago!) and then having the kids decorate white paper bags with stickers and then I'll put some hole punches through the top, thread with ribbon and voila!
    I'm like you - I just don't have the money! But I want them to know I thought about them, and a lot of teachers get way too many candles, mugs, and "treats"
    Also - for their regular teacher the class usually takes up a collection of $3-5/child to buy a gift card to a favorite store. On top of that, a dollar ornament is about all I can do!

Answer by missanc at 9:41 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My mom always gave the bus driver cute holiday socks and maybe a snickers with it cause she loved snickers but usually just socks or something small. I usually also give a littel something to the teacher, school secretary and principal. These can all be small.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• OMG I was just planning on the main teacher! I guess I'll have to re-think it now!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:25 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Last year I gave the teachers Avon products because I sell Avon. I don't have the money to buy gifts for everyone so his teacher will get the same this year. Honestly, I only think of the main teacher, however my son asked if he could give something to the assistant too (all teachers have an assistant in his school) so we made a little goodie bag for her too.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• As a former teacher I can tell you that my favorite gifts from students were the cards and ornaments that they made themselves - - I still hang the ornaments up every year! You can buy kits at Michael's or any other craft store that will make like 20 ornaments for $5-6. Homemade cards with a candycane or a packet of hot chocolate attached is also nice. And if you don't get them anything, they won't think twice about it! I had many students bring in gifts, some small and some large, and I had just as many students who came in and said merry Christmas or happy holidays and that was it - - I loved all of them :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• MY DD HELPS ME MAKE SOME OF THE GIFTS FOR HER TEACHERS! we TAKE PLASTIC SPPONS AND MELT DOWN CHOCHLATE AND DIP THE SPOONS IN TO COAT THE END. DRIZZLE W VANILLA OR CARMEL AFTER HARDENED COVER W/CELEPHANE AND RED,GREEN, OR GOLD RIBBON I ALSO ADD SOME .99 CENTS LOTION OR BUBBLE BOTTLES FROM AVON. HOMEMADE CRAFTS R ALWAYS A HIT! LAST YEAR WE MADE SMALL WHEAT BAGS FOR ALL HER TEACHERS AND IT HARDLY COST US ANYTHING! I'VE ALSO TOOK CHRISTMAS MUGS FILLED WITH NUTS OR CANDY CANES........5 TEACHERS $3.....HOPE THIS HELPS!
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 4:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• MY MOTHER TOLD ME ONE OF THE GIFTS SHE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER (SHE DROVE A BUS FOR YEARS) WAS A SMALL SEE THRU BAD OF TINY MARSHMALLOWS....WITH A TAG THAT SAID SNOWMAN POOP.......AND ANOTHER OF CLITTER AND BABBIT FOOD (PELLETS) THAT SAID REIGNDEER FOOD.....THIS W/ A SAMLL CONSTUCTION PAPER APPLE OR SMALL WOODEN RULERS(MICHAEL'S CRAFT) ORNAMENT. yOU CAN USE A MAGIC MARKER AND HAVE UR LIL ONE ADD NO ONE MEASURES UP TO MS. (FILL IN THE BLANK)......
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 4:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2009