Co-sleeping?

What are ur thoughts on co-sleeping? Do you do it, have you done it? Do you think it makes ur children more clingy and dependent or no? Thank you for any answers.

gizmom529

Asked by gizmom529 at 8:19 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We co-sleep, I love it but the problem I have now is getting our older 2 out of our bed! Some kids transition easily from co-sleeping to their own beds but some don't, just something to think about. We all sleep better and longer when in the same bed. I think my kids are actually more independent and they listen well, I also feel I am more in tune with them from being so close to them. If you chose to co-sleep good luck.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 8:40 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• We did it sometimes. Our kids slept in a cradle in our room, but then often ended up in bed with us. I don't think any of the kids are clingy. Our first born slept with us the most and will still climb in our bed when sick. I like it! It means we get more sleep because he sleeps so well when sick and with us!! The others just want to play when they get in our bed and won't sleep now. Our kids are 3, 2, and 1. I am thinking we will do more co-sleeping with the one coming in November!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:22 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My son co-slept, and while he was clingy and dependant, I think that was just his personality, not the co-sleeping. My daughter never wanted to sleep with me (she'd sleep with her daddy though). I enjoyed co-sleeping, especially while my son was still little enough that he was nursing though the night. My only caution would be to put them down on their own for that first sleep of the night and nap time- that way (1) sleeping on their own isn't a scarey bad thing (2) they can transition to their own seperate sleeping quarters easier and (3) you get some time away from baby to do other things (like clean, have sex, and cook).
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 8:42 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I do it sometimes, but not for long periods. My son still sleeps in the same room as us because we only have one room so sometimes when he wakes up he will not go right back to sleep. During those times, I bring him into bed with us, but after about an hour or so when I know he is fully back to sleep, I always move him into his crib. I know they say it's bad and it really can be dangerous but when your tired and it's 4 am and your child will not go back to sleep, you do what you have to do. I say do what works best for you and your child. I cannot say 100% if it makes a child more clingy or not because my son is only 9 months but he doesn't seem to be that way. He rarely wants to be held during the day and is more content playing in his caged area than being held.
    RNmama09

Answer by RNmama09 at 8:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• We co-slept until my son was 9 months old and neither of us were getting any sleep. Up until then it was great, wonderful, nothing was as satisfying as sleeping next to that sweet little baby. I Bf'd, so it was very convenient for that. He finally got to a point where he was tossing and turning so much that he would horse kick me in the middle of the night and I woke up ever time he moved. He's been sleeping in his crib ever since. I loved it, but you have to take my answer with a grain of salt. I was a new widow and I wasn't trying to share a bed and my evenings with a baby and a spouse. I imagine if I have another I will use a bedside co-sleeper for a while, but probably no longer than 3 months. Maybe less. I don't think it's made him more clingy. He is a very independent little boy.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:00 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I co-slept on and off until my DD was 6 months. After that she kinda pushed me away and was more willing to lay in her crib. I was really upset, because I LOVED having her next to me at night and being able to just whip out a boob and feed her, but she liked sleeping in her crib. It's only been a month since since I've stopped all together, but there are those days where I'll lay on the floor with her if it's nap time..lol
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My son is 6wks old and we co-sleep with him. He falls alseep on my chest every night. Thats the only thing that seems to comfort him enough to get him to sleep some night. But once he is completely out like a light i do try to put him in his pack and play to sleep right next to our bed. But then i cant sleep right...cause i just worry about him...even though i know he is just fine!
    oxcarirenexo

Answer by oxcarirenexo at 9:54 AM on Oct. 27, 2009