Will she ever warm up to him???

I have a four year old female cat that I've had since she was six weeks. She is very loving and spoiled. Someone just gave me a kitten, five weeks old, male. She has been throwing a jealous fit, hissing at him and being mad at us. I just wonder if they will become pals or not. I really hope so.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Pets

• My 6yo male cat was ticked about us bringing home an 8 week old female cat. He, too, is very spoiled and enjoys his luxurious lifestyle, LOL. Anyway, it's been about 6 weeks now and they're getting alot better. I've seen him favorably interact with her more over the last couple weeks and just ignore her other times (he finds her kitten antics unappealing). Just give it time. She'll get used to the baby.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 8:37 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Keep distant because if that cat feels kitten feels threatened and attacks that's child abuse cause you knew as a parent that kitten was upset... Usually kitten or cats keep there distant or will play with the child... Sometimes it will take time for them to understand... We had to get rid of smokey cause we didn't realize smokey was drinking his milk and my bro wasn't getting anything to eat.. we decided to record what was goin on and or cat was bullying my brother ( lol we laugh now but then we felt bad). He would wait run into him look back and then walk away.. Then he would sit there wait for us to leave then sit next to my brother and then knock the bottle from his hand, He would watch the cat drink his bottle then tried to get sokme and there would be nothin but he wouldn't cry till afterwards so we thought he was finished with his milk... Anyways montor you cat well
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 8:54 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• How long have you had him? I would just give her time to get used to him. I don't have cats, but I remember that it took about a week for our first Sheltie (we had her for 2 yrs prior) to get used to and get along with our second Sheltie.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:57 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• its a this is my house and your new thing. it just takes time. i have 6 cats, 3 are fro te same litter, at times ud never know it, that fight over the oddest things, but they have the social order and tey get along most days lol
    16thmoon

Answer by 16thmoon at 10:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Unless you know the statuse of that kittens mama they should not come in contact with each other until the kitten is tested(between 9-12 wks) for Feline aides/Leukemia because he could potentially give it to your other cat if he is positive. Really, when you bring a new cat in they should be seperated for at least a week (depending on age of newby)so that they both can adjust to the smell of the othe cat. Some cats take lnoger to adjust then others. My 14 yr old cat, Kiddie hates change and when a newby comes in she will hiss a lot and does not like them in her space though she won't fight. Depending on the cat it will sometimes take her months to adjust but i never worry because she is at least civil.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Probably not. Cats usually don't like it if you bring other cats or animals in their home. If they are young it might be a diffrent story but with an adult cat it's usually not happening. When we moved to the states we left our 2 year old cat with my mother who had a 13 year old cat who didn't like the idea of a new cat at all. For the whole first year she refused to come inside or to be petted. All that was 5 years ago, she does comes inside now and my mother can pet her but she still hates our old cat and will attack him whenever he's in the same room.
    stpalmsgirl

Answer by stpalmsgirl at 11:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2009