is breastfeeding always best?

i was just wondering, if someone smokes, drinks, has a poor diet, or has any other bad physical habits should they still breastfeed? does all breastmilk have good stuff or does it depend how you treat your body? i've always been curious about that. thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If a person is drinking, smoking and not eating properly they should definitely NOT breastfeed. True, there are tons of nutrients found in breastmilk but you have to treat your body the right way in order to make it the most healthy food for the child. I guess the best way to think about it is to know that just about everything you put into your body is excreted in breast milk...drugs, alcohol, caffeine...if baby shouldn't have it, mom shouldn't have it while breastfeeding. Of course it is okay to have these things in limited quantities or if the mother is pumping and saving the "good breastmilk" before she drinks a few glasses of wine, etc.
    RNmama09

Answer by RNmama09 at 8:52 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Well it has everything the mother puts into her body, but it also has antibodies and things that man cannot yet duplicate. So nutritionally speaking it's always going to be best for the antibodies. But some women have better quality milk because they don't smoke or eat alot of junk.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:52 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Nope it's not. If one is taking certain drugs, it's not best. If a person has a disease that is easily transmitted via blood (such as the HIV/AIDS virus), breast is not best.

LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• well if you can't produce BM then its definately not best because your baby would starve. LMAO sry im feelin sarcastic this mornin
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• The better you take care of your body, the better your bm will be. I mean of course if you can't produce at all, that's really not your fault. When I was bfing I ate sooooo healthy that I lost a ton of weight! My body felt better and I knew I was doing the best for my daughter.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 9:31 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Even if someone has a poor diet, smokes, and has an occasional drink - then yes breastmilk is still best. If they take illegal drugs or drink more than 1 drink per day, then no it would not be best but in that case they probably aren't the best person to be having a baby either.

You can read more about what things are (and aren't) compatible with breastfeeding here: http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/index.html http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/index.html
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 10:35 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• agreed. if mom is on certain drugs or is malnourished, formula feeding would be best. i think that if you smoke, breastfeeding is better, but you'd have to do your own research on that, because i'm not sure. just think i read that somewhere. if you drink, you should just not nurse for an hour afterwards per drink. so 4 drinks at 10pm? don't nurse until 2 am. so if a mom was drinking all day long, she should not breastfeed.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2009